Remote lost, help needed, URGENT!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
ComedyPilot said:
My dad had the first remote control for a telly in our street. A 6 foot snooker cue. Press, press. Made me laugh at the time - mid 70's

;)

Bet he never lost it either!

Maz

Guru
Gawd, remember the olden days before remote control TVs? You actually had to hate a programme enough to get up off your arse, walk up to the TV and turn the channel over...only to find the other 2 channels were showing even crapper programmes, so you sat back down again.

What a waste of energy.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
Gawd, remember the olden days before remote control TVs? You actually had to hate a programme enough to get up off your arse, walk up to the TV and turn the channel over...only to find the other 2 channels were showing even crapper programmes, so you sat back down again.

What a waste of energy.

I'm pretty sure that the first TV in our house I can remember had a remote control. It was a "Baird" and the remote control was not IR but some weird kind of radio wave thing that you could hear making a feint screaming noise.

Mr Pig

domtyler said:
the remote control was not IR but some weird kind of radio wave thing that you could hear making a feint screaming noise.

And you could change the channel by jangling a set of keys!

Our first TV remote only had two buttons to change the channel up and down, no remote for the sound. At least they were big, solid buttons. Not like the tiny crap buttons that are sure to pack in on today's remotes. Don't make remote controls like they used to! ;0)

Maz

Guru
Some early remotes were actually connected to the TV via a long cable. That's one sure-fire way of not losing it.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
And you could change the channel by jangling a set of keys!

Our first TV remote only had two buttons to change the channel up and down, no remote for the sound. At least they were big, solid buttons. Not like the tiny crap buttons that are sure to pack in on today's remotes. Don't make remote controls like they used to! ;0)

You had more than one channel? :biggrin::blush:

Mr Pig

domtyler said:
You had more than one channel? :biggrin::blush:

Yes, three!

I remember getting our first 'colour' TV. And also when a (wealthy) friends parents got one of the first video recorders. It was about the size of a suitcase and had big piano keys sticking out of the front. It was amazing. 'Right, watch this bit of program. Ok, I'll rewind it, now look, here it comes again, it's the same bit!!'. Wow, that was the same thing again...

It would seem I might be an old fart? ;0)

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
Yes, three!

I remember getting our first 'colour' TV. And also when a (wealthy) friends parents got one of the first video recorders. It was about the size of a suitcase and had big piano keys sticking out of the front. It was amazing. 'Right, watch this bit of program. Ok, I'll rewind it, now look, here it comes again, it's the same bit!!'. Wow, that was the same thing again...

It would seem I might be an old fart? ;0)

Yeah, we'd sort of figured that bit out already! :biggrin:

Jaded

domtyler said:
I'm pretty sure that the first TV in our house I can remember had a remote control. It was a "Baird" and the remote control was not IR but some weird kind of radio wave thing that you could hear making a feint screaming noise.

Ducking and diving ultrasound, possibly? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom