Removal of bike lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brooks

Truth is, many cycle commuters are complete diks! I daily see regular commuters riding in the dark without lights, riding on the wrong side of the road, hopping on the kerb to 'bypass' red traffic lights and committing all sorts of shenanigans that make me cringe in terror and disbelief.

Cycle lanes or otherwise doesn't stop this lemming behaviour.

If the road is busy then that is the current conditions. What makes cyclists think they can skim through the prevailing situation impervious to the reality of the congestion they find themselves in?
I cycle regularly in central London and I just love the cycle infrastructure but there's nothing that makes my blood boil more than cyclists deliberately ignoring lights and traffic laws. People notice these idiots and it gives all of us a bad name.

I see drivers ignoring the laws every day. Including the serious ones!
then there's the ones I can't see (e.g. the uninsured drivers, and the ones under the unfulence, or with unroadworthy vehicles ... etc ... )

I can't get stressed about the cyclists that "give us a bad name". Allegedly,

JPBoothy

Veteran
then there's the ones I can't see (e.g. the uninsured drivers, and the ones under the unfulence, or with unroadworthy vehicles ... etc ... )

But don't get me started on those without lights :hyper:

Brooks

But I'm talking about cyclists,I'm fully aware of what drivers get up too. If we want better infrastructure we must all play the game. Where I live there's sod all cycling infrastructure yet when I go into town they are blessed with fantastic cycle lanes yet a large number choose to deliberately ignore everything put in place to provide safety. Bloke in front of me last week on CS6 constantly went through red lights and I caught up with him every time, I let him know what I thought of his behaviour and you can imagine his reply. We have to call out our own if we expect better behaviour from motorists towards us.

JPBoothy

Veteran
You know who I'm referring to :laugh:

I wouldn't refer to them as cyclists though because they usually know better. More like your casual person with a bike type rider. I wouldn't mind but even a cheapo set for £3 (inc batteries) would be better than none at all. No lights, black clothes, no handed and on their mobile appears to be the 'cool' thing to do around these parts.. Nobody wants to have killing a cyclist on their conscience.. To make matters worse our local council has opted to change the street lighting to some new energy saving super dim things that make even seeing a parked car difficult. Have they followed suit in your local area?

Problem is that every time a car driver sees a cyclist (person on a bike) go through a red light - they edge a bit closer to disliking (or even hating) all cyclists
eventually that leads to someone passing me too close or deliberatly pulling out in front of me - or, more common round here - not allow me enough time to get through temporary traffic lights
All caused by a few idiots that feel they are OK going through red lights because they either feel entitled - or just don't think they will get caught

JPBoothy

Veteran
I frequently ride and/or walk in central Oxford. Ninja cyclist free for all, well-known for it.

And yet they are well down my list of road-safety concerns there. They are barely a blip on the casualty figures, either.
As long as they are the only casualties as a result of their ninja ways then that is their choice to make. However, if they hit and injure/kill somebody else then that is a different matter.. A dangerous person is a nuisance to others whether on 2 wheels, 4 wheels or just on foot really.

D

Deleted member 26715

As long as they are the only casualties as a result of their ninja ways then that is their choice to make.
So you dobby think it would affect you in anyway if you killed/injured one?

JPBoothy

Veteran
So you dobby think it would affect you in anyway if you killed/injured one?
Yes I do, and said that in an earlier post but there appears to be others that are not and as usual the motorists got dragged into it which is yet more evidence of the 'them and us' that is on the increase.. I cycle more than I drive and have to agree about 'calling out our own' because there are some seriously poor/inexperienced cyclists out there and probably a lot more since the early days of lockdown when the lure of the empty roads got them dragging their bikes from the back of the shed. There is room for us all out there but we ALL need to learn to have some respect for others :okay:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I cycle regularly in central London and I just love the cycle infrastructure but there's nothing that makes my blood boil more than cyclists deliberately ignoring lights and traffic laws. People notice these idiots and it gives all of us a bad name.
Do you get equally angry at the drivers that break traffic laws? It may surprise you, but people were born twunts - they don't suddenly become one when they choose a particular means of transport.

Top Bottom