Removal of bike lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Sadly both of these examples will be repeated all over the UK, all under the guise of congestion, when it's the motorists who are the congestion

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Truth is, many cycle commuters are complete diks! I daily see regular commuters riding in the dark without lights, riding on the wrong side of the road, hopping on the kerb to 'bypass' red traffic lights and committing all sorts of shenanigans that make me cringe in terror and disbelief.

Cycle lanes or otherwise doesn't stop this lemming behaviour.

If the road is busy then that is the current conditions. What makes cyclists think they can skim through the prevailing situation impervious to the reality of the congestion they find themselves in?

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
I just watched the vid. I commute in urban Manchester.

What is the problem being highlighted here?
The problem being not the behaviour of some riders but, the fact that drivers moaned about congestion,, they were stuck going slowly, causing pollution, emergency vehicles would become stuck in congestion and people will die, so the respective councils removed the dedicated cycle lane, the motorists are still stuck in traffic, emergency vehicles will now be definitely stuck as they were allowed to use the bike lane on a blues and twos run, so it's the irony and stupidity of the removal,as there has been no improvement in traffic flow at all, yet the silence regarding congestion is deafening

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It's a shame this lane has been taken out. The provision of lanes like this is not just for the bold/brave/stupid who currently joust with traffic but for the many others who would cycle to work/school/shops IF they felt safe.

Reactions: mjr
@I like Skol do you think reducing pollution, increasing active travel, and reducing congestion are good or bad things?

D

Deleted member 26715

Any sanctions against the council for wasting £800,000-900,000 of tax payers money, total guesstimate but if they were charged £700,000 to put it in £100,000-200,000 to take it out seems reasonable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They put a lane on the A56 coming through Stretford - worked OK when the full lockdown was on, but not after. It was badly thought out, as the A56 is not a road I'd personally choose to ride on - there are parallel roads with a proper cycle lane (i.e. past Old Trafford Cricket ground).

Are there any alternative, more cycle friendly routes in Kensington than that one.

Many of these emergency routes were badly thought out.

Brooks

The problem being not the behaviour of some riders but, the fact that drivers moaned about congestion,, they were stuck going slowly, causing pollution, emergency vehicles would become stuck in congestion and people will die, so the respective councils removed the dedicated cycle lane, the motorists are still stuck in traffic, emergency vehicles will now be definitely stuck as they were allowed to use the bike lane on a blues and twos run, so it's the irony and stupidity of the removal,as there has been no improvement in traffic flow at all, yet the silence regarding congestion is deafening
There wasn't any problems with emergency vehicles on this particular road as the bike lane was made wide enough to accommodate these vehicles.

Top Bottom