Removal of bike lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Problem is that every time a car driver sees a cyclist (person on a bike) go through a red light - they edge a bit closer to disliking (or even hating) all cyclists
eventually that leads to someone passing me too close or deliberatly pulling out in front of me - or, more common round here - not allow me enough time to get through temporary traffic lights
All caused by a few idiots that feel they are OK going through red lights because they either feel entitled - or just don't think they will get caught
Absolute nonsense.

JPBoothy

Veteran
And you think that was a BAD thing? I really don't know what to say to you 🙁
When have I said or implied that cycling was a bad thing? I said that there are a lot of poor or inexperienced cyclists out there and probably more so since lockdown but I also went on to say that there is plenty of room out there for all of us if we learn to be respectful to each other. Even reading it back I can't see what could possibly have bothered you about what I've said! The more cyclists the better in my view but not everybody can or wants to cycle and we 'cyclists' have to respect their choice to drive and then maybe the 'motorists' will respect our choice to ride.

Brooks

I frequently ride and/or walk in central Oxford. Ninja cyclist free for all, well-known for it.

And yet they are well down my list of road-safety concerns there. They are barely a blip on the casualty figures, either.
Your not comparing Oxford to London are you? Oxford is a tiny place, every borough in London has a far larger population, is larger and has more cars. Ninja cyclists indeed 😂

Brooks

Do you get equally angry at the drivers that break traffic laws? It may surprise you, but people were born twunts - they don't suddenly become one when they choose a particular means of transport.
Seems to me that we can't criticise cyclists for their bad behaviour without the pathetic cars do it too excuse, it's not even an argument is it. Going through red lights is illegal is it not? I don't give a fart who's doing it they are all idiots don't you agree?
I don't drive and if I'm waiting for the lights to go green and another cyclist goes past me on a red I'm going to call the twat out and I don't give a toss who agrees or not.

Drago

Legendary Member
Seems to me that we can't criticise cyclists for their bad behaviour without the pathetic cars do it too excuse, it's not even an argument is it. Going through red lights is illegal is it not? I don't give a fart who's doing it they are all idiots don't you agree?
Where did I suggest that the "car drivers do it too" is an excuse?

I'll make it easy for you - I did not. Please do not put words into my mouth, or attribute things to me that I did not state.

I simply pointed out that plenty of other categories of road user break the law, and no one with an IQ in double digits or higher hates every member of that category of road user for the behaviour of a few twottish individuals.

And so it is with cyclists.

The only people who bleat are the brain dead oxygen theives that read the Mail or Express, and no matter what anyone does theyll find an excuse to hate everyone else anyway. Haters gotta hate.

Set an example with your own behaviour, because letting loose with a bucket mouth does nothing to make people love cyclists either - after all, if jumping red lights makes us all look bad then what do you think people will make of cyclists with tourettes? You can't be selective about what bad behaviour is acceptable for cyclists to indulge in.

Brooks

Where did I suggest that the "car drivers do it too" is an excuse?

I'll make it easy for you - I did not. Please do not put words into my mouth, or attribute things to me that I did not state.

I simply pointed out that plenty of other categories of road user break the law, and no one with an IQ in double digits or higher hates every member of that category of road user for the behaviour of a few twottish individuals.

And so it is with cyclists.

The only people who bleat are the brain dead oxygen theives that read the Mail or Express, and no matter what anyone does theyll find an excuse to hate everyone else anyway. Haters gotta hate.

Set an example with your own behaviour, because letting loose with a bucket mouth does nothing to make people love cyclists either - after all, if jumping red lights makes us all look bad then what do you think people will make of cyclists with tourettes? You can't be selective about what bad behaviour is acceptable for cyclists to indulge in.
I'll make it easy for you, your first line in reply to my post you bring up drivers, funny I Didn't mention cars at all.
Haven't got a clue why you bring up the mail and express other than the usual online underhand way people use those publications to tar those they disagree with.
Others on this thread also expressed views about the bad behaviour of cyclists which is what forums are all about, strange how me mentioning that bad behaviour reflects on us all strikes a negative cord. Haters gotta hate!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is ridiculous to suggest that the Kensington cycleway was removed due to bad behaviour of cyclists. It simply was not there long enough.

I read that the mayor is seeking to recover £300'000 from RBKC for this.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'll make it easy for you, your first line in reply to my post you bring up drivers, funny I Didn't mention cars at all.
you've clearly not read or, even more importantly comprehended, a single word I said. I did indeed mention cars, but not at all in the context to which you persist in referring.

strange how me mentioning that bad behaviour reflects on us all strikes a negative cord. Haters gotta hate!
It does not strike a negative chord - it is simply untrue.

And you need to make up your mind. If it were true, as you suggest, that bad behaviour of a few makes us all look bad then your own indulging in bad behaviour by gobbing off at other cyclists, by your very own argument, makes us all look bad. You are, by your own admission, intolerant and verbally assaultive to other road users - therefore, by your very own stated logic, we all look bad thanks to your dreadful, infantile behaviour.

I'm not sure if you're pulling my leg by claiming not to understand any of this, or if you really are simply incredibly obtuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Ooooh! I do love a good argument!
I’ve never managed to get my head around this idea that because I cycle I have anything in common with any other cyclist! So, I/we have Brompton’s, Converted Thorn tours, emtbs, a roller skate (Toyota Aygo) and a camper van! So can someone please tell me which ‘group’ I should have anything in common with, or be responsible for the actions of? 😂😂

JPBoothy

Veteran
Ooooh! I do love a good argument!
I’ve never managed to get my head around this idea that because I cycle I have anything in common with any other cyclist! So, I/we have Brompton’s, Converted Thorn tours, emtbs, a roller skate (Toyota Aygo) and a camper van! So can someone please tell me which ‘group’ I should have anything in common with, or be responsible for the actions of? 😂😂
Just your own so keep on doing what you do and just enjoy it in whatever way you want to 🤣

I have never felt comfortable with, or wanted to join a cycling club as I just like to go where I want when I want without rules. It is bad enough having them at work so in my own time definitely not. The problem with clubs/groups/society's and definitely school PTA's, is that it starts off all equal and friendly but then somebody fancies themselves as a leader and suddenly there are rules, AGM's the whole shabang :stop:

We share a common 'interest' in cycling and obviously must enjoy swapping tales or why else would we have have joined this forum but, that doesn't make it a formal group or club of any sort :okay:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Top Bottom