Removal of shimano 105 hollowtech II crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Help please! I'm trying to remove the crankset on my Airnimal to put some different sized chainrings on.

I have successfully removed the non drive side crank arm, and from what I have read, the crankset and spindle should just come out easily. However they are not budging and I'm wondering if I've missed something.

Does anyone have any tips? The Park Tools website and Sheldon Brown have been little help.

Ta.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just needs a bit of brute strength. Rubber mallet or if you dont have one of those, a lump of wood over the spindle and a whack with a hammer

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Kirstie said:
Hmm I can't see how looking at it but I'll give it a whack and see what happens.

I have Hollowtech IIs on two bikes and I second the tw*tting advice. As long as it's something soft you can afford to give it quite a wallop...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Tw*t it as far as it can go. Then grab the drive side and give it a right good wiggle and pull...

Kirstie said:
Hmm I can't see how looking at it but I'll give it a whack and see what happens.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
ianrauk said:
Tw*t it as far as it can go. Then grab the drive side and give it a right good wiggle and pull...

Ah, the tw*t and wiggle approach. It never fails.

ianrauk said:
nice one... xx( jobs a goodun

I wish.
It appears that I have wrecked the ebb cup putting the crankset back on.

A word of advice, when you are 'gently tapping' the crankset back into the BB shell, take care that the bearing cover on the non-driveside ebb cup doesn't get knocked out. It's made of very brittle plastic and on reinsertion into the ebb cup became chipped, so it doesn't properly cover the bearing and I now need a new one. They aren't supposed to come out, apparently, but mine did. You can't seem to get these as spares so it's down the LBS tomorrow to see if they can sort it.

Bah.

Top Bottom