Removals - if it sounds too good to be true ..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jezston said:
Thanks for all the response guys. Man, this is getting depressing :angry:

I love my piano, it's worth a reasonable amount, and I cannot afford £250-300 to move. I flat out do not have the money. Especially as I may be moving again in six months time. I fear my only options may be scrap the piano, or pull out of the move and find a flat with a lift. But maybe I'm just thinking the worst.

Snakehips: was this a proper full on cast iron framed upright or more of a decorative purposes rather than playable wooden framed job?

Well, if that's the alternative, you might as well pay £30 and see what happens. Let's face it, if you're just going to dump it because you can't afford to move it, you're no worse off if they do drop the thing. If you see what I mean.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Rhythm Thief said:
Well, if that's the alternative, you might as well pay £30 and see what happens. Let's face it, if you're just going to dump it because you can't afford to move it, you're no worse off if they do drop the thing. If you see what I mean.

Agreed If you do go for this option though I would make sure have you got a couple of mates who could help out at the same time

snakehips

Jezston said:
Snakehips: was this a proper full on cast iron framed upright or more of a decorative purposes rather than playable wooden framed job?

I'm afraid I couldn't say for certain but the events I described above took place over 30 years ago , and it was already old and of zero value to the previous owner then. Which means that it was constructed at a time when things were built to last , rather than for show.

Snake

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:

If it were that simple. I'm more afraid of the damage to the flat (wrecked stairs, gouged walls) and people than the piano itself.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Well, had another chat to the cheap guys and gained some confidence and understanding of their methods. While they don't go the full-on route of wrapping the piano in blankets and putting rugs and planks on the stairs, there is three big lads doing it and he sound pretty assured they had done this before no problem.

Although typing the above out and processing it my head I now feel worse. I think I need a lie down!

Sorry guys for using this forum as place to vent fears rather than ... hangon, that's what forums are for isn't it? :angry:

JamesAC

Crackle said:
Don't move the piano yourself, get someone who knows what they are doing, £200 sounds reasonable.
+1

You'll end up damaging self, flat, and, most important, the piano. Especially if it's iron framed.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you've got 'three big lads' plus yourself, I would've thought that was do-able.

Someone's method earlier about using a blanket or two as 'lubricant' on the stairs....a rope round the bugger, that can be tied off at the banister post on the first landing while everyone takes a breather....take it one step at a time....

....heave, hold, tie off, rest; heave, hold, tie off, rest...repeat as necessary. Wouldn't you say?

I would think a good strong rope would be the first essential. Then you have the thing under control. I should think a rogue piano half way down the stairs would take some stopping...

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Had a chat to a smaller removals company - chap said main reason he would charge £200 is because he'd have to employ another pair of hands (and legs, and back - a full human being in fact) than if it wasn't going up any stairs. I then thought, well howabouts we are the additional pairs of hands and he agreed and said he could do it for £130.

That might just be a fair compromise.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have moved 3 pianos in one day with my trailer, two mates and a professional piano restorer. Basically it was a chain sale from one house to the next, one in, one out.
It took all four of us to lift a piano safely with a cradle to get it in and out the trailer.
The piano had to be moved on a proper piano trolley. They can not be moved on their wheels. The trolley was fiddly but unless you are shown how to use it the piano can fall off very easily. The restorer was adamant that we had to do and move as he instructed and he wasn't wrong. I have moved a lot of stuff but the piano trolley is not intuative when it has a piano on it.

I only had three and four steps to have to deal with during the last piano move. Each step was a mad panic with straps, trolley, eight hands, lots of coordinated effort. The professional said he wouldn't bother with a move up a full flight of stairs unless he had all professional and experienced hands.

I did the move as a favour to help out the chap in the middle of the chain, he was one of the mates helping with the move, and so it was 'mates rates'.

Soon after, the chap at the end of the chain wanted rid of the piano we delivered to him. He asked me if I would be interested in the job as he was getting quotes in the hundreds. I told him I would charge more then the professionals as none of us wanted to repeat the experience.

All the pianos needed some TLC and retuning afterwards.

If you value the piano at all only trust it with experienced movers, and ones who have insurance enough to cover it.

Top Bottom