Remove compression plug new forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randommoose

Über Member
Hi,

I have had some new forks delivered today. They have come with a compression plug already inside and it won't come out. How do I get it out?

Carbon forks. The top section is pictured in my hand. The other photo is inside the tube where the expansion sleeve won't shift. The bottom section is free to roll around inside the forks though for the photo I have poked it into its correct place.

I can't get the top section to screw into the bottom section to try pulling it that way (there's no grip anyway once it is in the steerer). I've tried pulling out the sleeve with my fingers.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Moose :smile:

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
IMG_20171201_215415787.jpg
IMG_20171201_215443161.jpg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It does not look like it is central -can you push down on the 5 o’clock position in the second photo to straighten it up, then pull it out with the short arm of an Allen key?

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
It does not look like it is central -can you push down on the 5 o’clock position in the second photo to straighten it up, then pull it out with the short arm of an Allen key?

Ok, I tried that. It seemed to shift down a tiny bit (when I pressed at 5 o clock position) but wouldn't move up at all. I can't get any grip on the underside (I presume the bottom edge is tapered?) with the allen key. Tried hooking the allen key through the nut but couldn't pull it out that way either. I managed to drop the allen key down the steerer but luckily it came out - made me worry though! I've tried jamming my thumb in to pull it out with the knuckle but that isn't working either.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I've been doing research online and from what I can see it is supposed to just slide out. But it doesn't move at all and as it is brand new forks (already replaced once by the company as the first ones they sent were damaged before they sent them to me) I can't do anything to them which will stop me returning them. The company isn't open for phone calls at the weekend according to their website so I can't ask them till Monday.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The terminal way would be to use a knife to cut the elastic band holding the bung together. You could do this by slicing between the 3 gaps in the bung. I used a loom band to replace a broken one on mine.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
There is no elastic band around the bung. The only thing visible through the 3 gaps in the bung is the inside of the steerer tube.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don’t mess with it, send it back.

U

User6179

There is no elastic band around the bung. The only thing visible through the 3 gaps in the bung is the inside of the steerer tube.

The expander bung in carbon steerers looks like a bad idea !

On my new bike I noticed the steerer was bulging at the bung resulting in the bearings being hard to remove from the forks.

I have never seen a expanders like your one but to me it looks like it has been over tightened like mine resulting in it being jammed in the tube.

Try to slide a bearing onto the forks and see if it is flared where the expander is jammed.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Don’t mess with it, send it back.
I'll just do this. Fed up of the poor quality control from this company so will buy a different fork from somewhere else.

Currently the process is:
Fork snapped (there's a whole thread about this)
Bought new fork - badly scratched before packing
Company replaced fork (took a week) - compression bung stuck

Hopefully next time will be luckier! :biggrin: I'll get one from Evans Cycles as it is local and I can see it in person before getting it home. I'm moving into a motorhome in a few days so want to get it sorted before then so time is of the essence!

Last edited:
Top Bottom