Remove slight dent from rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfella

Über Member
Hi all,

I have some Mavic CXP33's laced to Phil Wood hubs. Only slight issue is with the front wheel - it has a slightly dented rim. Its only on one side and I don't think it really causes a problem. Is it possible to get this corrected or even do it myself carefully?

Please see attached photos, its not as bad as the photos look to be honest.

jimboalee

Mole grips, some metal bar packing and a pair of lollypop sticks.

BTW, are they clinchers?

e-rider

crappy member
No, don't do it - it will almost certainly crack if it hasn't already.

The best option would be to buy an identical new rim and rebuild the wheel using the same spokes.

RedBike

Apparently you shouldn't re-stress spokes so it would be an identical rim and new spokes.

£45 for the rim
£20 for the spokes
£15 to have it built

circa £80.

That dent is highly likely to cause an issue when braking.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Surely its worth a go if I'm going to replace the rim?

Just wanted to add that its only on the very edge of the braking surface, at the lower half of the braking surface its fine.

I've never done it my self but I think I read in a maintenance book that you may be able to correct small dents with an adjustable spanner.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
What jimboalee said.
Something stiff and straight both sides & squeeze with mole grips.

Personally, I ignore such dents unless they cause a braking problem.

Redbike said:
Apparently you shouldn't re-stress spokes so it would be an identical rim and new spokes.
There's no problem re-using spokes provided they haven't been breaking. My front wheel is on it's 5th rim with the same spokes.

jimboalee

The lollypop sticks are so the metal jaws and packing don't damage the rim surfaces.

I've got worse dents than this out of alloy rims.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Had a go at it, made a few marks on the rim (despite masking it off) but nothing that will cause an issue. Its not 100% perfect but its pretty damn good now with only a very slight imperfection in the rim wall.

See attached photos.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You did right - I used to straighten the rim on my MTB like that before disc brakes made it less necessary and I stopped hitting things! Never had a problem.

If you wanted to you could always tape a new rim alongside the old and transfer the spokes over one by one.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Thanks, it hardly took anything really. Just 10mins to perfect it as best I could.

Good idea with taping a new rim. I will see if I can get hold of one cheap, I could always transfer the rim over and then take it to the LBS for them to true it and make sure the spoke tension is OK.

Top Bottom