removing a cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

Edinburgh cycle co are sending me a new wheel as the one i was sold on my bike keeps breaking spokes. I therefore need to remove the cassette and i presume the freewheel to transfer to my new wheel. I've never done this before and i'm getting contrasting info from bike books and colleagues at work.

I've removed the quick release axle pulling it out completely. I have bought one to the locknuts that i need to place on the side of cassette and thought i needed a chainwhip to hold the cassette still while i turn the locknut. Is this true??

A friend has told me that i can undo the cassette and freewheel by just turning the locknut and i don't need a chainwhip??

anybody able to offer me some advice?

Thanks

betty swollocks

large member
Your friend is wrong, you are right.
You do need a chain whip: how else are you going to stop the cassette rotating with the locknut as you unscrew it?

OP
OP
D

DLB

i'd thought of that, but i haven't got a spare chain and didn't want to mess around removing the chain from the bike. Just called the LBS and they have a whip for £7 so i'll call there after work.

Many thanks

DLB said:
1) thought i needed a chainwhip to hold the cassette still while i turn the locknut. Is this true??

2) A friend has told me that i can undo the cassette and freewheel by just turning the locknut and i don't need a chainwhip??

you are both right

1) you do need a chainwhip for the cassette you have as it will just spin as (betty swollocks) said.

2) your mate is right as if you had a screw on freewheel you dont need a chainwhip.

if you need any more info have a look at http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#remove

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
of course you could use a hypercracker, no need for a chainwhip

hypercracker1.jpg

OP
OP
D

DLB

they've sent me another type of shimano wheel which theysay is better quality. an r500 or r700if i rememeber correctly. They're abour £40 on wiggle - i looked last night.

DLB said:
how the hell do they work???

They work by dropping out the back wheel tack out the QR or nut. now put the hypercracker into the lockring and put the QR or nut back on, put the wheel back in the bike do up the QR or nut. Now spin the wheel backwords (slowly now or you will do in your paint) when the hypercracker is up tight to the frame push hard and the lockring will undo. :biggrin:

Top Bottom