Removing chain for cleaning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Just wondered how many of you remove your chains for de-greasing?

I have a KMC split link/power link chain on both my bikes and was bought a set of those Park Tools pliers for Christmas so thought I'd give them a go today. They certainly make splitting and re-joining the chain a doddle, but I must admit I found it quite a faff getting the split chain back around the jockey wheels and sprockets. Felt like I could have done with 3 hands. Maybe it's just lack of practice, this being my first attempt at re-fitting a chain.

I'd prefer to remove the chain to clean it - seems to allow a more thorough job and less mess spattered around the back end of the bike, but just wondered if it's a bad idea to split and re-join a chain every couple of hundred miles? And if there's a trick to feeding the chain back around the various bits, or if it is generally agreed to be a bit of a fiddly job.

Cheers, Andy

Ajax Bay

Guru
if there's a trick to feeding the chain back around the various bits, or if it is generally agreed to be a bit of a fiddly job.
Take a picture of the rear derailleur with the chain on, and use that image when you rethread the chain.
Use a zip tie with a little lever that allows you to release to 'join' the two ends together (ie take the tension out) and then your 'power link' will be easier to fit.

Tim Hall

Take a picture of the rear derailleur with the chain on, and use that image when you rethread the chain.
Use a zip tie with a little lever that allows you to release to 'join' the two ends together (ie take the tension out) and then your 'power link' will be easier to fit.
Or fashion a wee hook out of an old spoke for the same purpose.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Lifes too short. Your time versus cost it makes no sense to remove chain. Just a wipe through with a cloth and oil it.

not sure it's a cost question either. I recon the solvents for off bike chain cleaning outweight any (questionable) saving in chains. And that's quite apart from purchase of new links and / or earlier failure through weakened links.

Oil and wipe with rag for me too

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Life's too short to faff about removing chains for cleaning. Just lube it up and give it a wipe with an oily rag.

Lifes too short. Your time versus cost it makes no sense to remove chain. Just a wipe through with a cloth and oil it.

Both of the above............

Shift the front derailleur into the largest chainring position (and rear mech into smallest sprocket position).
Place the chain onto the chain ring in front of the derailleur and feed it through backwards through the cage plate by turning the pedal backwards a few degrees.
Pull a full 50% of the chain through the cage plate and then grasping both ends lift it up to clear the chainring teeth.
Shift the front derailleur into the smallest chainring position and then lay the chain upon it. Allowing the right side (frontward) tail to hang off the front of the chain ring under its own weight...
... thread the left (rearward) tail over the smallest sprocket, through the top of the rear mech and threaded onto to the jockey wheels.

You now have two ends and can proceed to join the ends together with your quicklink or chain rivet tool.

I find a length of spoke bent onto a sort of angular 'c' shape is the best thing for holding the two ends in close proximity long enough to stick them together.

Or a zip tie.

Or a peice of string.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Sorry for being dim but not sure I understand? Or maybe my OP wasn't very clear. I have no problem fitting the link, it's the feeding of the chain through the jockey wheels and around the chainring and cassette that I found fiddly.
Or fashion a wee hook out of an old spoke for the same purpose.
My multi-tool has a little double ended hook thing for holding the chain in place once both the ends are brought together so I use this.

Lifes too short. Your time versus cost it makes no sense to remove chain
There's no financial motivation in this. I just hate a gunky, crackly chain and figure it's easier to get in between all the rollers by taking it off. Sad, I know!

I recon the solvents for off bike chain cleaning outweight any (questionable) saving in chains.
I use a biodegradable de-greaser. Not sure what the ingredients are but it claims to be eco-friendly.

Top Bottom