Removing crancks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I have a bit of a problem removing the cranks on one of my bikes. I cannot attach a crank puller as the threads on the crank has been badly damaged by rust ;) - I had a few attempts and all I managed to do was to remove whatever threads where there.....

It's looking like I will have to cut off the crank from the BB axle unless somebody here can suggest an alternative method.

battered

Guru
I would clean up the threads with a thread file if possible. These are available from engineering suppliers. Alternatively you can probably get a balljoint splitter tool from a car maintenance shop (or local mechanic) which I've used in the past, or a small 3 leg puller.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Hardly any threads left, they just disintegrated....never seen anything like it ...

The other two suggestions are good.... will look into it. Thanks

Matthames

Über Member
Another way of getting things moving would be the use of some penetrating oil and a hammer. Giving it a bit of a whack will break the bonds between the metal and get things going.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I had the same problem I heated the crank arm over the gas hob and then tapped it off with a rubber mallet.

A plumber's blow torch would be more focussed. Penetrating oil is a waste of time. Best advice is to remove the bolt and go round the block.

Top Bottom