Removing handle bar grips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ozzie770

Used oil, washing up liquid etc, and my handle bar grips will not budge, any other tips?.
They have probably been on for over 40 years...

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Are you replacing the grips with new ones or taking them off to put them back on later? If your replacing them carefully cut them the length of the grip with a Stanley and peel off

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Isopropyl alcohol. You can buy spray cans of it in maplin or suchlike.

Use something like the handle of a teaspoon (or 2) to make enough of a gap to spray alcohol under the handle cover.

Once enough is under there you will be able to slide them off easily. After 1 or 2 min the alcohol evaporates so no mess afterwards.

If that does not work then cut them off.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Used oil, washing up liquid etc, and my handle bar grips will not budge, any other tips?.

Very thin pozzy drive screwdriver pushed down the entire length of the grip, couple of drops of washing up liquid and then twist. Or if they are still firm work the screwdriver 360 round the circumfrence of the bar.

Hairspray to put them back on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Very thin pozzy drive screwdriver pushed down the entire length of the grip, couple of drops of washing up liquid and then twist. Or if they are still firm work the screwdriver 360 round the circumfrence of the bar.

Hairspray to put them back on.

This... or a spoke. Lie the bike down, push the spoke down under the grip and douse with WD40 then twist the grip

To refit clean everything up then spray with hair lacquer or carpet fitter's glue or photo mounting glue and quickly slip the grip on.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member

davidphilips

Veteran
Best way i have found is just put a 22mm open ended spanner on the handlebars. (may have to move the brake levers a bit) and one or two hits with a hammer and the grips will come off.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I favour bamboo skewers because they won't scratch most bars, but sometimes resort to the screwdriver. I also favour alcohol or spray oil to remove them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you can't get them off and they're those old 'grip' style with the finger ridges you can still get them new from Bob Warner Cycles on Sparkenhoe St (Back of the Train station) he's got loads of NOS spares for older bikes (BTW the guy's name is John)

Globalti

Legendary Member
....or you could do what somebody in my mountain bike club did and drive from Preston to the Kendal exit on the M6 with a bike hanging off the rack, held on only by the wheels straps, handlebar scraping along in a shower of sparks. That removed the grip, and the handlebar and most of the brake before they realised they couldn't see the bike in the mirror.

Jody

Stubborn git
I favour bamboo skewers because they won't scratch most bars, but sometimes resort to the screwdriver. .

Fair point. Never really bothered with the asthetics of bars as its usually hidden by the grips and its a MTB.

Top Bottom