Removing pedals from old MTB...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

How do I remove old pedals from a MTB?
Right side of bike, I used a 15mm spanner and turned anticlockwise...result was a broken spanner.
Firstly am I spinning in the correct direction, if so, how can I remove pedal? Yes, I've applied WD-40 already.
Thanks
IMG_20230603_214742.jpg

OldShep

Über Member
Yes that’s the right way
A proper penetrating oil will work better than WD40. Some heat might help and when you’ve a decent spanner a shock with a hammer can help.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Yes that’s the right way
A proper penetrating oil will work better than WD40. Some heat might help and when you’ve a decent spanner a shock with a hammer can help.

Can you give an example of proper penetrating oil? When you say heat, do you mean a blowtorch?

richardfm

Veteran
Where are you? There might be some one on the forum local to you with a pedal spanner to lend to you

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You need a decent, hefty spanner - ideally a proper pedal spanner. Alternatively, if the spindle has a hex socket on the end, use a good hex key with as long a tube extension as you can find. It helps if you have someone sit on the bike to immobilise the pedals.

Mike_P

Guru
You need a decent, hefty spanner - ideally a proper pedal spanner. Alternatively, if the spindle has a hex socket on the end, use a good hex key with as long a tube extension as you can find. It helps if you have someone sit on the bike to immobilise the pedals.
Or strap the pedal crank arm to the frame

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Whatever spanner, lever bar, penetrating oil you use…….you also need a way to secure cranks from moving - so that all your effort is going into undoing the pedal as it’s clearly quite tight 👍

Yes, I put the 15mm spanner on the pedal and then used another spanner rather like in this picture to "squeeze" the 15mm spanner towards the crank arm to attempt to turn it anticlockwise. Then the 15mm snapped.
510z1DloTcL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom