Removing pedals from old MTB...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Get a good tool and take that crank off, you'll need to any way in the future for a new BB or re-greasing the old BB at least.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Once the new pedals are on, as long as the bike's rideable, I'll run it into the ground. Then I'll get another cheap second-hand bike. This one cost me all of £20 so it owes me nothing.👍

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
This is what I use

image.jpg

Good idea wipping it off and putting the pedal in the vice

I use foot power on the spanner.
Put gear into high ( if I recall correctly)
Place crank forward and up.
Place well fitting spanner rearward and up.
Apply brakes.
Stand carefully of spanner. Apply full bodyweight.
You can extend leverage with a bit of pipe.

Next time, grease the threads.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use foot power on the spanner.
Put gear into high ( if I recall correctly)
Place crank forward and up.
Place well fitting spanner rearward and up.
Apply brakes.
Stand carefully of spanner. Apply full bodyweight.
You can extend leverage with a bit of pipe.

Next time, grease the threads.
Yep my method too, all this 'block of wood' .big hammer and car jack malarkey is bollocks obviously posted by someone who doesn't really know cycles, I've come across 'people' who do not even know that pedals are threaded differently on each side and have been trying to take one off by tightening it up

Mr Celine

Discordian
Yep my method too, all this 'block of wood' .big hammer and car jack malarkey is bollocks obviously posted by someone who doesn't really know cycles, I've come across 'people' who do not even know that pedals are threaded differently on each side and have been trying to take one off by tightening it up

Me too, with one additional step.
Keeping the brakes firmly applied while applying just enough weight to the spanner to keep it steady, stare first into the distance towards Switzerland then closer to the barbed wire fence stopping you getting there. You are Steve McQueen. Start that motorcycle!

1685968433724.png

Works every time.

Keeping the brakes firmly applied while applying just enough weight to the spanner to keep it steady, stare first into the distance towards Switzerland then closer to the barbed wire fence stopping you getting there. You are Steve McQueen. Start that motorcycle!

View attachment 693226

Works every time.

This is THE reason to get "proper" pedals that have spanner flats (so you don't have to pi55 about with an Allen key round the awkward/backside).
I mean, everyone wants to be Steve McQueen, don't they?

raleighnut

Legendary Member

View attachment 693226

Works every time.

Yep who knew the Germans rode Triumphs in WW2

Top Bottom