Removing pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Trying to remove the pedals on my road bike, Whyte Suffolk, to put new ones on.

Have a multi-tool with correct fitting, 6mm hexagonal thing (I'm not very technical) but neither side will budge AT ALL. It's not an old bike so not as if they have rusted together or anything!

Please help!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Get a pedal spanner. There's no way on earth you'll get them off with a multi tool.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Crap.

Suppose a trip to Halfords is in order then!

Bike was just in LBS too - wish I knew more about this stuff!

Last edited:
image.jpg
Pedal spanner is a must. Give both threads a liberal dosing of WD40 or similar, then a good crank anti clockwise will do it. That pedal spanner came from Halfords, and is very good.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Don't forget to wear a helmet when taking pedal off. Just in case it flies of and pings you in the head.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Got a multitool. If I have multitool plus wrench, what else does the toolkit give me?

Might have to read a manual or something at this rate!

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
It's unlikely I'll change pedals again in a hurry, so are any of my fellow Central Scotland Cyclists packing a 6mm pedal hex or 15mm whatever (a pedal tool!) I could borrow for 30 seconds?

^_^:thumbsup::tongue:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Not only the taking off this time, but when you put them back on or change for new pedals, ensure the threads of the pedals and in the cranks are clean (kids toothbrush or small winemaking etc bottle brush) and a dab of grease on the threads before you put the pedals it. They may not come out with a multi tool but will be easy with the right spanner or a maybe even long Allen key next time.

Top Bottom