Removing pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When removing pedals, take great care that you don't slip of the spindle and gash your knuckles on the chain/ring.
I prefer to use a bit of gentle foot persuasion, noting that the non-drive-side has a reverse thread.
1. Put bike in highest gear.
2. Place pedal pointing to upper/rear (10:00 or 2:00 ish)
3. Place spanner on spindle, engaging fully, pointing back and up a little. Rotate pedals to ensure spanner direction.
4. Apply brakes.
5. Press foot of spanner and gradually increase pressure and weight downwards on spanner.

When re-applying pedals, smear threads with grease or copper antisieze. Note reverse thread side.
Engage threads by reversing until they click, to avoid crossing threads. Spin on by hand. Tighten with spanner.

If you have allen key spindle and not spanner flats, ignore 1-5.

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

Wow what useful replies, thank you so much, this forum really is a gold mine!

I think I'll try standing on the spanner - It was good to get reassurance that that's a good technique as I thought about it but didn't want to damage anything.

@biggs682 - thanks for your very kind offer but I'm some way away on the Sussex coast.

thanks.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Getting pedals off is easy.

Remember to undo them you turn towards the back of the bike.

Put the spanner on and take a metal hammer and hit it. Don't be afraid. 2 or 3 whacks will loosen it. It sounds brutal but it works.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If the crank arms are steel it won't do any harm to gently tap around the pedal end a few times to release any corrosion between pedal and arm

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Put the chain on the big ring to avoid unnecessary blood loss.
and a nasty gash… don't ask me how i know that…

byegad

Legendary Member
Everyone missed out the magical mantra needed for jobs like these.

It goes along the lines of:-

'Cummon you ******* *********** thing! GET ********* ******** MOVING! You ************* ******* ********** ***********! OH! ************ *************** **************************** ********!!!!!!

Works every time for me.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Whilst all this is good advice, the only way I got mine off was by removing the cranks. Placing on a concrete floor (on a cloth) putting a long spanner on, and putting a extension breaker bar on that! I was expecting the thread to strip. It fought all the way off. Previous to this I had WD40'ed and heated it up.
First thing I did when I bought my next bike was remove the pedals and apply copper grease.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I greased my pedal threads carefully but the damn things are well seized in now. Will try some of the tips in this thread.

Top Bottom