Removing pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Or put simply, the thread will tend to move in the direction the fixing is moving.

The left hand, near side, non drive side crank moves anti-clockwise when pedalling the bike, so the thread will turn that way.

Normally, that would undo it, so it's left handed which means it will tend to tighten.

No problems with a normal thread on the other pedal because that moves clockwise in use.

The wheel nuts on many commercial vehicles are handed the same way.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Or put simply, the thread will tend to move in the direction the fixing is moving.

The left hand, near side, non drive side crank moves anti-clockwise when pedalling the bike, so the thread will turn that way.

Normally, that would undo it, so it's left handed which means it will tend to tighten.

No problems with a normal thread on the other pedal because that moves clockwise in use.

The wheel nuts on many commercial vehicles are handed the same way.
:wacko:
I'll just stick to remembering that it's the left hand one that's a bit odd.
I'll leave the question of why to Wilbur and Orville.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Aren't they self-tightening with use?

I don't think it's a case of pedals being made to self-tighten; it's more the case that they're made not to come undone while you're riding! If they're greased, they shouldn't tighten beyond the point you need to use force. The trouble is that if the crank is aluminium and the thread steel, they can literally cold weld together!

e-rider

crappy member
the left side pedal has a reverse thread, the right side pedal has a normal thread
pedals are typically tightened to 40-50Nm - if the threads are greased and they are torqued correctly they should never be difficult to remove even after 10 years

simongt

Guru
To show that even the experts get it wrong; back in 1925 a French cycle maker called Hirondelle came up with the Retro-Direct. This was a single speed fixie with a gear / chain arrangement where to pedal in a high gear, one pedalled forwards in the usual fashion. To pedal in low gear, one simply pedalled backwards. However, Hirondelle had overlooked the very simple basic point that if you pedal backwards for long enough, the pedals will unscrew and fall off - !:eek:

Tim Hall

To show that even the experts get it wrong; back in 1925 a French cycle maker called Hirondelle came up with the Retro-Direct. This was a single speed fixie with a gear / chain arrangement where to pedal in a high gear, one pedalled forwards in the usual fashion. To pedal in low gear, one simply pedalled backwards. However, Hirondelle had overlooked the very simple basic point that if you pedal backwards for long enough, the pedals will unscrew and fall off - !:eek:
Barmy cycling bloke Drew Buck rode Paris-Brest-Paris on one of them in 2007. Linky.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

could easily have been fixed with some split pins or somesuch. Still sounds barmy, but hey

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

Finally got it sorted, free of charge, by a nice chap at Halfords...

If the crank is metal.
Take the crank arm off and apply and carefully heat. You could use a brazing torch or an oven. Remove the pedal while everything is still hot. Next time make sure to grease the spindle crank arm interface

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

New pedals are duly greased! I'm amazed at the difference. I've only gone to a cheap pair I had on an old bike but they are so grippy compared to the 'city' pedals Evans put on.

Top Bottom