Removing pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Maybe a lot of riders tighten up pedals with too much torque, what is the correct amount? (Not that I've got a torque wrench!)

Everyone missed out the magical mantra needed for jobs like these.

It goes along the lines of:-

'Cummon you ******* *********** thing! GET ********* ******** MOVING! You ************* ******* ********** ***********! OH! ************ *************** **************************** ********!!!!!!

Works every time for me.
My system exactly!! If you curse at something long enough and with increasing venom, it will give in!!

Gert Lush

The only way I managed to get mine off was by pouring a jug of boiling water on them and then pulling. Wouldn't budge before, tried everything. WD-40, cheat pipe thing, hammer, standing on it etc.

The heat worked and then putting a wooden plank inbetween the pedal and frame so I had resistance. Easy peasy.

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

Nope. I give up.

In desperation I tried the hot water trick but to no avail. I can get the bike in a position where I can put my full weight on the pedal spanner but it just rounds the nut and falls off. Looks like I'm stuck with these awful "chuck-em-in-free" pedals.

I notice there's an allen nut on the inside of the crank - I can't get this to move either but should I be trying to loosen there instead?

LocalLad

Try taking it to a local bike shop, sure they'll have some tricks, and can't imagine them charging much..you might be doing more harm than good

simongt

Guru
Probably find that the reason you can't get them off is because when the bike was being assembled, whoever didn't bother greasing the pedal threads; a thing I do religiously whenever I need to whip the pedals off any of my / the GLWs bikes; then just a pedal spanner, a wee firm tap and away you go. Never had a pedal come off when it shouldn't. A pal of mine bought a Boardman road bike from Halfords a while back and when he tried to get the pedals off later on, found one had been cross threaded on assembly. :cursing:Took it back to Halfords and they tried to BLAME HIM for the fault - !:eek: He was not impressed - !:evil:

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

Ah, yeah well. The muppet wot put 'em on was me. Greasing the pedals was about as much on my mind as bathing my new bike in orange juice.

A trip to bike shop it is.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ah, yeah well. The muppet wot put 'em on was me. Greasing the pedals was about as much on my mind as bathing my new bike in orange juice.

A trip to bike shop it is.

love the analogy - I'll file that one away for a suitable occasion

LocalLad

This thread has made me realise I should probably buy some pedal grease...what am I looking for? Any recommendations?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have a big tub of general purpose motor grease, which seems fine.

I am led to believe the proper.stuff is "anti-sieze" eg.that.trade-named as coppaslip. Grease will do but a liftime's supply of.coppaslip.is. maybe a fiver so you should get some for your stores just.in case anyway

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
If all else fails and you really don't want to take your bike to the LBS (which is the best option in my opinion) you can use a blowtorch - I'm assuming that the crank is aluminium here! Aluminium will expand faster than the steel pedal threads and it'll be easy to remove. You don't need to blast the things, just move the flame over the area for a few seconds and it should loosen. Don't forget to grease the threads before putting the pedals back on!

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Maybe a lot of riders tighten up pedals with too much torque, what is the correct amount? (Not that I've got a torque wrench!)
Aren't they self-tightening with use? Although it's a bit counter-intuitive, I have read the reason why. And forgotten it.

I seem to remember that it was the Wright brothers who came up with the idea of a LH thread on the L pedal, before they turned their attention to the foolish fad of heavier than air flying machines.

Top Bottom