Removing/replacing pedals...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Sorry to ask such a basic question...how do you remove/replace bike pedals?
Do you need an allen key for the 'crankside' of the joint and a wrench/spanner for the other side?
Also, any hints/tips for removal/replacement.
Cheers.

monnet

Guru
A 15mm spanner should do the trick. Remember that the drive side will have a left handed thread

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
never mind skinned knuckles, i managed to impale my palm on the chainring! always put the chain onto the outer chainring , especially if using an allen key to remove the pedal on the drive side.

Mr Phoebus

alecstilleyedye said:
never mind skinned knuckles, i managed to impale my palm on the chainring! always put the chain onto the outer chainring , especially if using an allen key to remove the pedal on the drive side.
Jesus! Bet that hurt?

some pedal don't use a spanner but an allen key from the inner side of the crank.put grease on the threads when you replace them.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
Yikes! That's gotta hurt.
Thanks for the 'handy' hint, though.

skwerl

monnet said:
A 15mm spanner should do the trick. Remember that the drive side will have a left handed thread

The drive side has a RH thread but left-handed for BB.
Non-drive side has LH pedal thread and RH BB thread.

The rule is "Right is right, left is wrong, unless it's a BB then it's the opposite". Not very catchy!

Blue

Legendary Member
I always remember which way to twist the pedals by remembering why they have opposite threads - because if either of the pedals could be unscrewed by turning towards the front of the bike it could come undone as you cycle along. Both pedals tighten by turning them towards the front of the bike.

Here's a tip for those of you with skinned knuckles (and those seeking to avoid them). Insert short end of allen key into pedal end (or attach pedal spanner to the flat on the other side of the crank) but make sure that you have the key/spanner inserted in such a way that the end of the tool is only a couple of inches away from the crank. Think of a clock face at ten past three, with the crank as the hour hand and the tool as the minute hand. Then you can grasp both the crank and the tool in one hand and squeeze them together. So long as your pedals aren't stuck or corroded this should give you enough force to get the bolt moving but without the peril of slipping and spiking yourself on a chainset. A simple trick but damn useful. ;)

monnet

Guru
skwerl;37794][quote name= said:

The drive side has a RH thread but left-handed for BB.
Non-drive side has LH pedal thread and RH BB thread.

The rule is "Right is right, left is wrong, unless it's a BB then it's the opposite". Not very catchy![/QUOTE]

Quite right. I meant to say 'non-drive side'.

Top Bottom