Removing stubborn seat stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
WD40 or GT85 or similar.

Leave it to penetrate and then work it out slowly.

May need to apply it in intervals if it's badly stuck - i.e. spray, leave, spray a little more, try and remove, spray a little more, leave, etc

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
And if/ when that doesnt work, drill a hole in it, slide a bar through the hole and try and twist it out.

And if/when THAT doesn't work, get a blow torch on the frame, heat the seat cluster up and tease the bugger out. Get the frame powdercoated, GREASE a fresh seatpost and off you go.

e-rider

crappy member
how many times have we heard this over the years......

and how many people have been successful....... not many!

If you live near a frame builder take it to them and pay the £10 or so they charge - simple.

If not, well.......good luck. The hacksaw blade technique isn't for the faint hearted or a decent frame.

Next time, grease the post well before insertion and it will not happen.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
When you finally get it out and are installing the new one this bit of Sheldons advice could stop you having a really bad day :-)

"Do not install a plain "pipe-type" seatpost without having a saddle attached to it. They can slip down too far and get stuck where you can't reach them"

briank

A pair of Stilsons can work - but, like most of the suggestions on here, involve sacrificing the seatpost.

If plenty of penetrant and patience don't allow you to twist it using only the leverage of the saddle, then accept the post's a gonner without further delay and butcher it any way you fancy.

Just be careful of your frame for gawd's sake!

Good luck.

zacklaws

Guru
If I recall, it took me about 3 hours of hard pulling and twisting to remove mine last year. Now I check and move them on a regular basis.

GrasB

Veteran
Carbon bike with Ally seat post or vice versa?... Mark the seat post & remove after every ride, it took me about 25min to coax my seat post shim out of the BeOne frame & a week latter it wasn't exactly properly free in the seat tube.

Top Bottom