Removing Stuck Cranks - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
2wheelsgeth

2wheelsgeth

Rebuilt, but not yet better than ever
OP
OP
2wheelsgeth

2wheelsgeth

Aha! Thank you very much.

OP
OP
2wheelsgeth

2wheelsgeth

Tell you what - it's good on here, isn't it? I wasn't expecting so much help - really appreciated.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a couple of this type of tool.
31rTxcl%2B7KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't know how I ended up buying two but they have been spot on for removing the cranks.
The silver end is a socket for the retaining nut/bolt and the black end is the extracter. A much more conpact tool then the type with the handle and it fits the same 16mm spanner for the axle nuts.

If it is a really stubbon crank I wind up a bit of pressure on the tool and then strike the end of it with a hammer to shock the crank off the spindle.

Make sure that the inner part of the tool is fully undone before you screw in the outermost part (and yes, don't cross-thread that). The first time I used one of those crank pullers, I inserted it with the innermost part half done up. As a result, I extracted the crank thread rather than the crank! :blush:

OP
OP
2wheelsgeth

2wheelsgeth

Make sure that the inner part of the tool is fully undone before you screw in the outermost part (and yes, don't cross-thread that). The first time I used one of those crank pullers, I inserted it with the innermost part half done up. As a result, I extracted the crank thread rather than the crank! :blush:

And that's probably saved me a new set of cranks...:biggrin:

C

chillyuk

I haven't gone as far as stripping the threads but only a couple of weeks ago I spent 10 minutes trying to get the extractor started on the threads and it just wouldn't screw in. It was 10 minutes before I realised I hadn't unscrewed the inner part. Must be either old age or famliarity breeding contempt.

Night Train

Maker of Things

That's a good point and one I take for granted and should have mentioned.

I usually wind the centre right back and then make sure the outer is screwed in all the way and snug. Always make sure the threads are clean first and it should wind in without tools. If it doesn't then find out why instead of forcing it.

OP
OP
2wheelsgeth

2wheelsgeth

Just a quick update - got the cranks off no problem, rebuilt the BB and have a working bike again. Thank you all for the help and advice - it was invaluable. Main lesson - get the right tools!

Top Bottom