Rent'N'Ride not doing so well up my way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
domtyler said:
These kind of schemes always perform brilliantly on paper but terribly in the real world, which is why if they had any sense, they would leave them on the drawing board where they belong.

For the 'real world' substitute 'UK'. Schemes of this sort have been successfully implemented elsewhere. e.g. Velib in Paris

and ..
As of 2007, similar schemes are also in effect in other European cities, including Aix-en-Provence, Caen (V'eol), Rouen, Barcelona (Bicing), Brussels, Copenhagen, Lyon (Vélo'v), Nantes (Bicloo), Toulouse, Stockholm, Pamplona (Cemusa), OYBike, Call a Bike (Berlin, Frankfurt, Cologne, Stuttgart, Munich, Karlsruhe), Copenhagen/Helsinki/Aarhus (CIOS), Oslo, Sandnes, Seville (Sevici) and Vienna.

OP
OP
L

LLB

asterix said:
For the 'real world' substitute 'UK'. Schemes of this sort have been successfully implemented elsewhere. e.g. Velib in Paris

and ..

At least 3,000 bicycles have been stolen in the first year of operation, many more than had been initially estimated

They lost 1 in 3 bikes in the 1st year ;). Perhaps a massive city corp can soak up that sort of loss, but I can't see that any council paid initiative will be able to absorb that without having a massive backlash from the tax payers as well as having to deal with the environmental impact when they are vandalised and dumped.

asterix

Comrade Member
linfordlunchbox said:
They lost 1 in 3 bikes in the 1st year :eek:. Perhaps a massive city corp can soak up that sort of loss, but I can't see that any council paid initiative will be able to absorb that without having a massive backlash from the tax payers as well as having to deal with the environmental impact when they are vandalised and dumped.

In France the stolen bikes will probably be put to use somwhere (probably flat if they weigh 22.5kg:o). In jolie old Angleterre, they will be vandalised and dumped, in line with our country's great traditions.

Top Bottom