Repair Mavic rim - spoke hole busted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stefan_99

Hi all,

hoping for some advice.
one of the rear spoke nipples ripped out of my rim today.

is this even repairable by a bike shop?

hooping for good news !

thanks
5E864E67-21FF-496B-BC6F-6EE807509A90.jpeg
my local shops as usual are not answering the phones anymore.....

Looks FUBAR from here.
Even if you could find someone to repair it what would be the cost, and would you ever trust it?

Ajax Bay

Guru
No
"The Ksyrium S is 60g lighter than the former Ksyrium UST while also being wider, stronger and laterally stiffer. Stiffness is optimized using Fore technology. The upper bridge remains undrilled, optimizing strength and rigidity, and it doesn't require the use of a rim tape, which saves another 30g per wheel."

battered

Guru
You could make a shaped washer to spread the load across the torn section when the spo ke is rethreaded, but it's a bodge. I'd do it for a pub bike, not one I wanted to use in anger.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
No
"The Ksyrium S is 60g lighter than the former Ksyrium UST while also being wider, stronger and laterally stiffer. Stiffness is optimized using Fore technology. The upper bridge remains undrilled, optimizing strength and rigidity, and it doesn't require the use of a rim tape, which saves another 30g per wheel."
And as time goes on it gets still lighter as the spokes pop out one by one.

Ajax Bay

Guru
And as time goes on it gets still lighter as the spokes pop out one by one.
Yes, who would have thought that keeping the "upper bridge undrilled" and therefore not using it to help take the radial stress of the spoke (with eyeletting) would make such a difference. Still the wheels look very swish and benefit from 'Fore tapeless tubeless' technology which makes them "4 times more resistant to fatigue stress".

"Stiffer and stronger
"Instead of being drilled, the lower rim bridge is pushed up on the inside, then threaded to enable the spoke nipples to be directly screwed in it, leaving the upper rim bridge intact."

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Personally I would repair that with a square/oblong washer.

just tape over it to protect the tube, it’ll be fine

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a new wheel - you'll be lucky if you can find a Ksyrium rim. I have some fairly old Ksyriums and Aksiums and they've been bomb proof. Unfortunately they use a funny spoke count. Does the Ksyrium Equipe still use standard nipples ? The problem is it's tubeless so you probably can't access the nipple and even attempt a repair. The older Ksyrium Equipes are a slightly more conventional construction at the rim.

Big fan of Mavic wheels and run 4 sets of 'wheelsets' in our house. Two other bikes use more conventional setups, but both have Mavic rims.

With wheelsets you've got to replace the wheel in many cases, possibly both, unless you can find a single wheel.

Top Bottom