Repair the bike or buy a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As far as I can judge, the bike, once sorted, will be worth rather more than the cost of the work I've listed. I don't think the front derailleur cable needs replacing (but maybe it's a fair idea to 'get it done' anyway). You can see how much a new second-hand bike would cost and compare that with your LBS quote for the work + parts. If it's 3 figures I really would get a second quote from another LBS, having ascertained what work the first LBS quoted for.
Make sure you get a good ride in yourself, today or tomorrow.

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
I have booked an appointment for tomorrow with a local bike shop. I explained that the bike needs new gear cables and the gears to be indexed properly. I also mentioned that when checking the bike that the rear wheel needs to be aligned and the front wheel is missing two spokes.

I think my brother rode the bike and then just put it away. I really have no idea.

The only reason I am doing this is because of the current situation and the fact that he is still at work (I am not able to at the moment), but he will pay for the repairs.

The bike someone posted looks to be the same bike. Do people still think it’s worth getting fixed or should my brother just buy a new bike for £350 as someone else has stated? Are the problems going to be really expensive to fix?

Also, I ordered the book from Amazon so I have no idea when it is going to arrive at my house.
He wont get as good a new bike for £350 (that has a higher rep). Get it fixed. Shouldn’t be more than £50 or so

Reactions: C R

DSK

Lets see what the shop say. But if its booked in, sounds like the repairs will get done. Then just stay on top of it, keep it clean, give it a once over weekly and if you spot anything, sort it or, get it sorted by the LBS.

If the repair quote is higher than expected, only you can decide if its worth repairing or replacing. Consider that finding a used bike in the classifieds could take some time and travelling. If buying new for low money, you will only get a BSO.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
If the repair quote is higher than expected, only you can decide if its worth repairing or replacing. Consider that finding a used bike in the classifieds could take some time and travelling. If buying new for low money, you will only get a BSO.

I thought this thread might come in handy for the poster.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-is-a-bso.242639/
and the glossary too:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/forum-cycling-acronyms-and-abbreviations.1590/

see also:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/jul/22/asda-cheap-bike

Last edited:
Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

When I phoned up the guy he told me to take the bike down to the shop.

I did not ask for a quote on the phone. When will he give me a quote?

Do I give him my name and mobile number or will he just tell me a day and time to pick the bike

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have given you a list of what needs doing.
She (bike mechanic) may need to spend a few minutes looking at the various issues, decide what she suggests be done, price it up (cable inner and outer £5, 2 spokes @ £1 each (incl nipples), labour = their call and rate), and then tell you. You decide whether to check elsewhere or get her to do the work. They're expecting you so you ought to have a quote in 15 minutes (if she looks at it straight away, you outside in sunshine).
Here's the gear cable, so you get an idea: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/shimano-sis-12-mm-gear-inner-cable-wire/

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

My brother came in from work about thirty minutes ago and I’ve just had a chat with him about the bike. He has agreed to pay the price to get the bike repaired, but I have told him after creating this thread and going out of my way to get advice to get it sorted that I’ve become attached to it and I want to use it. He said that he has no problems with me using it. I think the people who pointed out that he would more than likely neglect it were right.

I have a few questions about a few things I want to do to the bike once it has been repaired.

I want to buy clipless pedals and road bike shoes. Do any clipless pedals fit any bike? Am I right in thinking that I just have to buy the same brand of clipless pedals and road bike shoes e.g. Shimano?

How do I hide the brake cables underneath the bar tape without hindering the ability to brake?

Most importantly, what shops online do you recommend to buy stuff from for the bike?

Many thanks.

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Some of the most common ones are;

Chain Reaction
Sigma Sport
Wiggle (not had any issues with them but, don't like the fact there's no one at the end of the phone)
Tredz
PedalOn
Evans

There are others perhaps DeporVillage, Edinburgh Cycles etc. Most places are very helpful and stock good stuff.

vickster

Legendary Member
You don’t need the same brand of shoe and pedal, otherwise only Shimano pretty much would market shoes.

Will you need to walk off the bike at all? If so, go for SPD pedals and MTB or touring shoes 👍

Just get the bike shop to retape the bars properly while they have it. Mine only charges a fiver! Or find a YouTube video. I’m too cack handed so just pay

which shop depends on price and what you want

add Merlin, Ribble, Planet X to the above
Halfords can be competitive and price match (and give discount to British Cycling members in store)

Start are a big seller in Newcastle
DeporVillage aren’t a Uk company (there are a number of decent German sellers too, but given the situation, delivery may be slower).
I went off Wiggle as they use Yodel to deliver, often have low stock and aren’t that well priced, plus no phone customer service (CRC are owned by Wiggle).
i quite like click and collect usually so Halfords, Evans, Sigma for me often

one thing, are you a similar height to your brother so the bike is the right size?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

You don’t need the same brand of shoe and pedal, otherwise only Shimano pretty much would market shoes.

Will you need to walk off the bike at all? If so, go for SPD pedals and MTB or touring shoes 👍

Just get the bike shop to retape the bars properly while they have it. Mine only charges a fiver! Or find a YouTube video. I’m too cack handed so just pay

which shop depends on price and what you want

add Merlin, Ribble, Planet X to the above
Halfords can be competitive and price match (and give discount to British Cycling members in store)

Start are a big seller in Newcastle
DeporVillage aren’t a Uk company (there are a number of decent German sellers too, but given the situation, delivery may be slower).
I went off Wiggle as they use Yodel to deliver, often have low stock and aren’t that well priced, plus no phone customer service (CRC are owned by Wiggle).
i quite like click and collect usually so Halfords, Evans, Sigma for me often

one thing, are you a similar height to your brother so the bike is the right size?

I’ll not be walking anywhere. I want to change from riding my mountain bike to riding a road bike.

I have read online that not all brake cables can be put under the bar tape.

Thanks for the recommendations where to buy stuff. Thanks DSK as well.

Yes, I’m only a couple of inches taller than he is so there is no problem with the bike frame size.

vickster

Legendary Member
You do not need road pedals and shoes on a roadbike but it’s up to you. Note that road shoes can come up narrow, so do your research if you have wide feet. And size up from your trainer size

Top Bottom