Repairing my...bib shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I might have accidentally put a pair of my bibs in with some jeans & now they have a chunk out of them. Has anyone bothered repairing their shorts before and is it worth it, or should I just bin them and get some more?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I keep my worn shorts for winter when I will wear a pair of bikesters over them

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a pair of bibtights and a pair of baggies without pads so I wear worn/damaged bibshorts under them for the padding. It helps to keep warm in very cold conditions.

I sometimes wear old shorts on the turbo trainer too.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't wear cycling shorts, just leggings: in winter you sometimes need two pair, so the tatty ones go under the nice ones ^_^

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I patched a pair with some Ironmend once- it's designed for wetsuits but you can patch lycra with care (you cut out a patch and iron it on, using some protective paper- supplied in the tube- to prevent the iron melting your shorts). I've heard Gore-tex repair patches can work too but haven't tried them.

I have had cycling tights repaired in the past by my mother in law with bits of a old pair of shorts. Nowadays I wear Assos tights and Rapha + Assos shorts which get repaired for free!. I have used the service and because they took so long ( sent to switzerland) they gave me a new pair instead to keep me happy.
Depends where your chunk is missing from, if its from somewhere it will chaff I would not bother. Somewhere on the leg would probably be ok.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not entirely true, I modify lycra leggings and wear these under the shorts though the pad is still next to the skin usually warm enough down to 3-5C colder than that leg warmers and if really cold winter tights/trousers.
Crotchless leggings then, do they not rub the tops of your legs

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I have had cycling tights repaired in the past by my mother in law with bits of a old pair of shorts. Nowadays I wear Assos tights and Rapha + Assos shorts which get repaired for free!. I have used the service and because they took so long ( sent to switzerland) they gave me a new pair instead to keep me happy.
Depends where your chunk is missing from, if its from somewhere it will chaff I would not bother. Somewhere on the leg would probably be ok.
Thanks, the smag is on the outer thigh, so not an issue, another pair of shorts I have, the stitching ont he chamois is coking loose, i assume it's ok to get that under the sewing machine to fix?

U

User6179

Thanks, the smag is on the outer thigh, so not an issue, another pair of shorts I have, the stitching ont he chamois is coking loose, i assume it's ok to get that under the sewing machine to fix?

My chamois was loose on a pair of shorts so I put a few stitches in it to keep it from moving , I used some nylon thread and ended up with a cut in no mans land :biggrin:

Top Bottom