Repeated punctures of the rear wheel - what is going on?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
I was plagued by punctures on the same wheel once, drove me mad trying to find the reason for it. It ended up being a tiny bit of swarf that was left inside the rim from when the spoke holes were drilled.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Really appreciate all your replies - at least it's not just happened to me! Although I have checked the tyre and rim tape quite a lot already (as you can imagine), I will go over it forensically now. There are definitely no thorns or sharp bits but maybe the rim tape has moved a bit or there is tiny hole in the tyre somewhere. Does anyone have any comment on the 559 x 17c marking on the wheel? That looks like a mistake right because I can find no reference to a wheel that thin on the internet?
559 x 17 is about the standard for 26" wheel rims.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have had a run of repeated punctures all in the same place. It turned out to be a tiny shard of glass lodged in the tyre that I couldn't feel when running my fingers around.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Fit new tube, if it blows, pull out the tube from the tyre leaving the valve still attached. Find the hole, mark the tyre and the rim.

Now you know exactly where the problem is, investigate, sounds most likely some issue with the rim tape.

This is good practice every time fixing a puncture IMO, makes finding the culprit much easier.

I liked the post above but the username especially made me laugh. Very clever. I remember that tune playing in my older brothers bedroom night after night when I was about 8. It has always stuck in my head. ^_^

Rolling Stones (1966)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADtnUC_ctNk

A Sunday in Hell (1976)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBTVU9JDrA

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had something similar some years back. Initially it was a tiny piece of glass which I'd not at first removed and was puncturing each repaired or new tubes, and yet the problem persisted. Finally in desperation I replace the tyre and all was well subsequently. I believe it was a slight lump in the inside of the tyre where the initial puncture had been even after removal of the offending glass

alicat

Legendary Member
If Mickle's suggestion doesn't work, run your finger round the inside of the tyre to see if there are any small protrusions through the tyre. Does the same as the cotton wool test.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Does anyone have any comment on the 559 x 17c marking on the wheel?
ERTRO for a <quote> 26" wheel is 559.
17c means that the inner rim measurement (between the two beads) is 17mm - this would be entirely 'normal' for a twentieth century MTB, but see comment below.
From Sheldon:
bead-seat-diameter.jpg

MTB wheels in old money are 26", 27.5" and 29". Their ERTRO measurements are 559, 584 and 622 (mm). Nowadays, MTB rim width measurements tend to start at 19mm for lightweight rims up to 40mm for downhill bikes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have had a run of repeated punctures all in the same place. It turned out to be a tiny shard of glass lodged in the tyre that I couldn't feel when running my fingers around.

I had a tiny part of a staple in mine once.

Last puncture was on the MTB - brand new tyre. There I was cursing thinking I'd have a right time finding the little thorn (recent cut hedges). Couldn't miss the thorn when I popped the tube out as it was around 4 inches long !!

Globalti

Legendary Member
My punctures were all with latex inner tubes, latex being so flexible it will seek out the tiniest hole and herniate and if there's something sharp in there it splits the tube.

presta

Guru
I have all my tyres marked with the valve position, and all the tubes marked with direction of rotation, so that after I've found the puncture I can realign them and find the hole in the tyre. I've only ever had one repeat puncture (through the middle of the patch I'd put on the day before), that taught me that the debris doesn't have to be protruding on the inside. Most bits of grit are hidden within the thickness of the tyre, and only pop out when you poke something into the hole.

OP
OP
G

gcbadger

Really helpful responses to my original query --- After checking the rim tape, wheel and tyre in great detail - I found a tiny split in the sidewall of the tyre. Have bought new everything, except wheel, so when I find the time to fix it - I'm sure that will do it! Will keep you posted.

Top Bottom