replace headset question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Put loose bearings in like I said up thread. The more bearings the better to reduce the pressure on individual bearings. The bearings are only put in a cage (the ring that holds them in a circle) to make bike assembly super quick but you can take the time to put the individual balls in place. Just make sure not to cram too many in because this will cause them to bind and destroy things pretty quickly. When you have the right amount in place there will be a small gap, less than the size of one bearing, between the last bearing placed and this allows the bearings to roll.

OP
OP
R

reacher

ok thanks i'l let you know how i get on cheers

lpretro1

You need to be super careful if you use loose balls instead of the caged type when putting the fork back in - it is very easy to dislodge them and cuase problemns trying to do it all back up - the caged bearings only cost pennies and eliminate that

OP
OP
R

reacher

Right it looks like the cups are worn and when I put it together you can feel a sort of grinding, I mean it turn smoothly enough, question is, if I leave as is will it last say through the next 6 months riding a couple of times a week or will it just be useless with a few rides ?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Right it looks like the cups are worn and when I put it together you can feel a sort of grinding, I mean it turn smoothly enough, question is, if I leave as is will it last say through the next 6 months riding a couple of times a week or will it just be useless with a few rides ?

Try easing the tightness a fraction - you should get a smooth turn without any play.

It won't do any harm as it is - the races are probably shot so you will just need a new semi-integrated headset when the steering gets too stiff.

OP
OP
R

reacher

Thanks, it turns ok but it hard to tell what it should be like as i'v never ridden it, the semi intergrated headset is the parts installed in the frame that are worn i take it ?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Thanks, it turns ok but it hard to tell what it should be like as i'v never ridden it, the semi intergrated headset is the parts installed in the frame that are worn i take it ?

Yes - the races simply push out. So all you need do is get a new semi-integrated headset for the same internal diameter of the headtube.

I'd also change the crown race at the same time as that is also likely to be worn.

lpretro1

The cups will need a removal tool to knock them out (can need a fair heft to do so)and then a press to install the new - take care to get them going in straight. It can be a bit of a minefield identifying the correct replacement

OP
OP
R

reacher

All done, thanks for the help guys its appreciated, i replaced everything in the end as it all came in a kit with the headset

Top Bottom