replace headset question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

Hi
Hopefully someone can help me here, i think this is a intergrated headset ?
The steerer tube measures 27.3 mm approx and the frame measures, thats the internal measurment seems to be 42mm
can anyone tell me what i need to buy to replace this please its off a boardman ladies bike if that helps

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 110

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are the bearing races really bad? If not you might get a way with a good clean up then fit fresh, loose bearings in clean grease. It isn't a critical, high wear bearing like a hub or the BB so as long as it is smooth and free-moving that will do.

OP
OP
R

reacher

Hi ok i think by bearings you mean these ? they seem to be pretty good, can you tell me what the actual part i need is if i just do the loose bearings or is that the name of the part ? its just that i looked on CR and none of the parts seem to look like the one i have where i can see the ball bearings they seem to be sealed
cheers

Attachments

• boardman bearings 002.JPG
    boardman bearings 002.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 94
  • boardman bearings 001.JPG
    boardman bearings 001.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reacher

Just clean everything up, regrease and put it back together, I would.

i can do that no problem, but seeing as i'v gone to the trouble of taking it out to take a photo is their any chance you could answer the question so as i can buy the spare one ready for the next time save me taking another photo ?

lpretro1

It isn't an integrated headset - there are cups pressed into the frame which are the seats for the bearings. It is either a standard headset or a semi-intragated or hidden one. If the surface of these cups where the bearings (that's the little ball bearings in a cage you had in your hand in first pic) sit are rough or 'brinnelled' then you need to replace the whole thing - one easy way of checking if they are brinnelled is to use a biro and see how it feels when you run it round the seat. If they are smooth enough then your local LBS may well have a caged bearing which will fit if you take the old one along. If you have to replace the whole headset due to worn cups then you'll need a remover to remove the cups and then a press to press in the new ones. Hope this helps with your question

OP
OP
R

reacher

thanks, it does help, so its starting to look like its a caged bearing that i need to replace ?
i think the cups are ok i will go check now

OP
OP
R

reacher

i can do that no problem, but seeing as i'v gone to the trouble of taking it out to take a photo is their any chance you could answer the question so as i can buy the spare one ready for the next time save me taking another photo ?
ok i have looked at it and i think re-greasing is not going to work some of the ball bearings are missing the photo makes it look a lot better condition than it is, cheers

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can buy the bearings in a 'race' - it's likely to be 1-1/8th. What Boardman ladies bike is it ? It's a "something" Comp ?

The race doesn't look too bad, but it's not in sufficient detail to see.

OP
OP
R

reacher

You can buy the bearings in a 'race' - it's likely to be 1-1/8th. What Boardman ladies bike is it ? It's a "something" Comp ?

Cheers i think the race is ok its a ladies boardman comp, i'v measured internally the ball bearing parts and its 1 1/8th

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sorry meant bearings in a 'cage'. The bottom race looks a little grubby (the one on the forks). Do you have a picture of the bearings and cage ?

OP
OP
R

reacher

ok cheers, brilliant i have found some , hopefully, i'v sent for them so if they match all well and good thanks for the help guys i had no idea what i was looking for

Top Bottom