Replace partially worn chain when installing new chainrings and cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJD

Hi all, I have a bike that's done roughly 4000km in 2 years. I’m about to change out the chainrings and cassette which seem to have plenty of life left in them, I'm just switching out for some lower gears.

Having checked my chain with a chain checker tool it’s not worn enough to require changing, however, I was wondering if not changing the chain at the same time would have a detrimental effect on the new parts?

I don’t want to bin a perfectly good chain, but likewise I don’t want to degrade the lifespan of the new chainrings and cassette (anymore than usual).

Thanks for the help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cassettes usually wear first. For the cost of a chain, I tend to replace cassette and chain at the same time. Chain rings last many many 000's of miles on road bikes.

I'm on my second chain ring on the MTB, and still the original cassette (but a replaced chain).

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Yeah, I was thinking it was probably best to change it, the 11 speed chains I've been looking at (Ultegra and KMC X11EL) are £25-30, so was just seeing if I could avoid that expense really.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fit a new chain but keep the part-worn one, when the drivetrain gets a bit worn so it won't accept a new chain without skipping guess what that part-worn one will run fine. :becool:

I keep mine in old takeaway containers part filled with Oil.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Get a SRAM chain, cheaper, compatable and very good,

I'd read somewhere online the SRAM chains weren't compatible, but after searching further it seems they might well be. Can pick one of those up for £14 (SRAM PC-1130), so that would be a lot more palatable.

Fit a new chain but keep the part-worn one, when the drivetrain gets a bit worn so it won't accept a new chain without skipping guess what that part-worn one will run fine. :becool:

I keep mine in old takeaway containers part filled with Oil.

Yeah that's a good idea, it'll come in at some point. Is that how I should be storing a chain, would keeping it dry cause it to degrade/stiffen up?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd read somewhere online the SRAM chains weren't compatible, but after searching further it seems they might well be. Can pick one of those up for £14 (SRAM PC-1130), so that would be a lot more palatable.

Yeah that's a good idea, it'll come in at some point. Is that how I should be storing a chain, would keeping it dry cause it to degrade/stiffen up?
Depending on where it is stored it could rust, keeping it covered in Oil stops that. If you kept it inside and it was completely dry it 'should' be OK too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

They are
I run SRAM chains with Simano group sets (Ultegra)

Top Bottom