Replace parts or Buy new groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Portableaj

The other day, I went to get Triban 3 checked as my gears have been jumping. This happens especially when I put down a lot of power down. I had a discussion about this to one of my friends and he thinks that I am too strong for shimano 2300. Previously I had it adjusted 1 once by me and the other times by a number of different mechanics. But I have been told that my chain rear cassette and crank has worn out. Basically it will cost around £100 or less depending where Iook (excluding labour). Also I want to get new shifters for my bike, as I wrecked them months ago which will set me back another £100 as I want to get the claris shifters. As this would cost me around £200 I though, is there a point of buying these replacement parts went I can buy a whole new groupset. Another benefit towards buying a new groupset compared to just replacing the worn out parts, is losing the tipple for a compact. What are you views on this ? And if I end up getting a new groupset should I upgrade to Sora or Tiagra ?

wakou

Über Member
A new gruppo will cost more than a new Triban... Buy a new Triban, sell the old one as is. (Possibly swap the forks, if the old ones are carbon)

Globalti

Legendary Member
When did you last service or change the cable outer where it curves round to the rear derailleur? It has probably got clogged and dry and is preventing you from shifting the gears cleanly. To say you're too strong for 2300 is utter hogwash. Change the cable outer, clean and lube the inner and you'll be amazed at what you have come to accept as normal performance.

Phone round a few bike shops for some second-hand shifters, Gti Junior bent his Triban shifter in a crash and I found some good used Tiagra shifters by phoning around - got 'em for £40 as they were scratched, which a quick spray with clear lacquer sorted out.

If the chain and cassette are worn out a chain checker (available to borrow in any bike shop) will confirm, then you will need new cassette, chain and possibly rings as well. If you do upgrade, go for the best you can afford.

Judderz

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The other day, I went to get Triban 3 checked as my gears have been jumping. This happens especially when I put down a lot of power down. I had a discussion about this to one of my friends and he thinks that I am too strong for shimano 2300. Previously I had it adjusted 1 once by me and the other times by a number of different mechanics. But I have been told that my chain rear cassette and crank has worn out. Basically it will cost around £100 or less depending where Iook (excluding labour). Also I want to get new shifters for my bike, as I wrecked them months ago which will set me back another £100 as I want to get the claris shifters. As this would cost me around £200 I though, is there a point of buying these replacement parts went I can buy a whole new groupset. Another benefit towards buying a new groupset compared to just replacing the worn out parts, is losing the tipple for a compact. What are you views on this ? And if I end up getting a new groupset should I upgrade to Sora or Tiagra ?

Bollocks.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

A new gruppo will cost more than a new Triban... Buy a new Triban, sell the old one as is. (Possibly swap the forks, if the old ones are carbon)
When did you last service or change the cable outer where it curves round to the rear derailleur? It has probably got clogged and dry and is preventing you from shifting the gears cleanly. To say you're too strong for 2300 is utter hogwash. Change the cable outer, clean and lube the inner and you'll be amazed at what you have come to accept as normal performance.

Phone round a few bike shops for some second-hand shifters, Gti Junior bent his Triban shifter in a crash and I found some good used Tiagra shifters by phoning around - got 'em for £40 as they were scratched, which a quick spray with clear lacquer sorted out.

If the chain and cassette are worn out a chain checker (available to borrow in any bike shop) will confirm, then you will need new cassette, chain and possibly rings as well. If you do upgrade, go for the best you can afford.

Rob3rt how is acceleration?
Globalti I got my bike serviced 2 months ago and my cables changed a couple of weeks ago.
Wakou my triban 3 is not stock anymore so buying a new buy would be pointless and the same thing is gonna happen and I want to get away from triple cranks too. Also the (New) old triban 3 are rare in decathlon now.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Rob3rt how is acceleration?
Globalti I got my bike serviced 2 months ago and my cables changed a couple of weeks ago.
Wakou my triban 3 is not stock anymore so buying a new buy would be pointless and the same thing is gonna happen and I want to get away from triple cranks too. Also the (New) old triban 3 are rare in decathlon now.

???

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

How is you start up speed.Right now my jumps always if i accelerate fast compared to if I do the opposite.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How is you start up speed.Right now my jumps always if i accelerate fast compared to if I do the opposite.

Not sure what you are getting at. What has my acceleration got to do with anything?

In case it wasn't clear, I am calling bollocks on your friends assessment, you are not too strong for 2300, simple as that!

Globalti

Legendary Member
OK then replace the whole transmission with Tiagra as linked above. The frame, forks and major components of Triban 3 are good enough to make this a worthwhile upgrade; the bike will weigh a little less and gear shifting will be smoother. Be sure to replace all the cables at the same time - why spoil the ship for a hap'orth of tar?

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

Not sure what you are getting at. What has my acceleration got to do with anything?

In case it wasn't clear, I am calling bollocks on your friends assessment, you are not too strong for 2300, simple as that!
I good at sprinting
OK then replace the whole transmission with Tiagra as linked above. The frame, forks and major components of Triban 3 are good enough to make this a worthwhile upgrade; the bike will weigh a little less and gear shifting will be smoother. Be sure to replace all the cables at the same time - why spoil the ship for a hap'orth of tar?
If I have to replace my chainset chain and rear cassette that will set me back £100 then the shifters which will be around £100 too which ends up being around £200 for £200 I could get a whole new sora groupset and I also want to get a compact crank to and that would involve changing the left shifter and the derailleur too.

Top Bottom