Replace Shimano 2300 front mech (clamp)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I've got a rather old group set on my Specialized Allez, the shimano 2300. However, I have set the rear mech correctly and it shifts perfectly so I have not bothered to upgrade.

However, the thread on the front mech (Shimano FD2300) clamp screw has gone so I need to replace it. Hard trying to find replacement, could anyone recommend alternatives? I have an 8 speed compact chain set and don't want to replace rear mech as works perfectly.

Thanks guys.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Is it a threaded clamp, or does the bolt screw into a nut in the clamp?

I think it's the latter (the FD-3403 in my spares box is, so I'd guess the same), in which case you just need to get either a new nut or bolt to replace it.

Otherwise something like a Claris (2400) front mech should be a straight swap.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Is it a threaded clamp, or does the bolt screw into a nut in the clamp?

I think it's the latter (the FD-3403 in my spares box is, so I'd guess the same), in which case you just need to get either a new nut or bolt to replace it.

Otherwise something like a Claris (2400) front mech should be a straight swap.

Thanks for the reply. The screw goes into a hole in the mech which has a bit of spring sticking out of it. I cannot tighten the screw sufficiently to stop the mech moving about.

I've just ordered a Claris 2400 from auction site. Was only £15 so that will hopefully do the trick.

Thanks again,

Top Bottom