Replacement brakes on an 80's frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olly

Hi everybody!

I've been doing some research and not coming up with solutions, so I thought I'd ask the forum.

I have a 1980 holdworh special that's now got 700cc x 23 wheel / tyre combo.

The brakes I have on at the moment are mavac "racing" center pulls. These have been great but aren't quite cutting it for everyday fast London commuting.
I thought I'd replace then with some late 80's early 90's campagnolo side pulls - found loads on eBay!!!!

But....

They don't have long enough drop AND are Allen key fixing not nut and bolt!

I looked for solutions and sheldon's site talked about drop bolts but they no longer sell them! He also mentioned a home made version but it was no-way pretty enough for my bike!

So...
Anyone got any ideas, experience with this or suggestions???

Cheers
Olly

PpPete

Legendary Member
These
or these

I've fitted Alhongas on a couple of bikes that were changed from 27"x1-1/4" to 700c. They seem to work just fine, although they don't have a Q/R so pain in the @$$ to drop a wheel out - unless you have those lovely old Weinmann levers with the little widget at the top that tucks under the hood to give you a bit of slack.
The Tektro have Q/R and come in nut & allen key fitting. Make sure you get the right one.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Both Shimano as well as Tektro also do long drop brakes with QRs. There are at least 2 versions by Shimano and 3 versions by Tektro here

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Brakes-Road/BRAR

I have Ambrosio on mine (thought they go better with Campag components), the black carbon look ones, they are nicely made and work extremely well. See e.g.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/ambrosio-momentum-long-item134271.html

The main thing you need to watch out for is bolt lengths and potential ways to mount them (as Sheldon has also referred to).

OP
OP
O

Olly

Thanks chaps!

I guess it will be the tektro ones. I didn't notice they came in nut / bolt versions!!

Are they any good?

Cheers
olly

OP
OP
O

Olly

Here's another thought...

If I replace the levers do I need to look for Anthing special or could I get some 80's / 90's campy ones?

Also the other thing I'd need to do is remove the hanger from the front headset. I've never messed with the stem/ forks before.
Anything I should look out for?

Or shall I buy the components and take them to lbs???
Cheers
olly

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm baffled. Why are the Mavacs 'not cutting it'? Mavac's a perfectly good make. Before you start fitting new brakes, have you considered trying new pads? Aztec or Kool Stop, eg. Plus a service, perhaps - ie, a dab of 3-in-1 on friction point and a drop or two down the cable housing.

normgow

Guru
[quote name='swee'pea99']I'm baffled. Why are the Mavacs 'not cutting it'? Mavac's a perfectly good make. Before you start fitting new brakes, have you considered trying new pads? Aztec or Kool Stop, eg. Plus a service, perhaps - ie, a dab of 3-in-1 on friction point and a drop or two down the cable housing.[/QUOTE]

I quite agree with SweetPea these are fine brakes , just one small point the name is Mafac not Mavac.:tongue:

PpPete

Legendary Member
I don't thinks it's the manufacturer of the brakes that's an issue. More that they are centre-pulls. Even at their best centre-pull calipers were not as good as decent quality single pivot side-pulls (although they were better than cheapo single pivots) Replacing them with a modern dual pivot design is a good idea IMO, and you can sell the Mafacs on Ebay to recoup some of the cost.

As for the levers....have to be Weinmann with the "drilled" handles for the 80's look. Or Campag.

Removing the hanger: You may need a spacer, or the top nut won't go down far enough - Ask your LBS for 1" headset spacer. Or one of these.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']I'm baffled. Why are the Mavacs 'not cutting it'? Mavac's a perfectly good make. Before you start fitting new brakes, have you considered trying new pads? Aztec or Kool Stop, eg. Plus a service, perhaps - ie, a dab of 3-in-1 on friction point and a drop or two down the cable housing.[/QUOTE]

The Mafac centre pulls are fine brakes and indeed depending on the model can attract a good price selling on ebay. However unless I have misunderstood the OP's situation I wouldn't expect a 1980 frame (which would likely have been designed for 27" wheels) can use 700c wheels WHILE keeping the original Mafac centre pull without an adaptor (which the OP finds hard to get)...

OP
OP
O

Olly

Wow!
Thanks for all your replies!

You are completely correct these are mafac doh!

I also agree these are decent brakes, I especially like the fact that center pulls don't get stuck on one rim as some side pulls can.

But the truth is I really dont seem to get enough stopping power on my comute. I go quite fast and have some steep hills with junctions at the bottom!!!

Even though these are on my 1980 holdsworth special the brakes are from a mid 50's claude butler! So an upgrade may not be a bad idea?!?

In a perfect world I would like a pair of 90's campagnolo brakes and drilled campy levers with white hoods. There are loads on eBay but unless I can find - or have made a pair of drop bolts. It looks like it'll be the tektro's.

I'll get down the lbs and get their input too!!!

Thanks for all your help and I might post a pic or two when done!

Cheers
Olly

nuovo_record

i've got campagnolo daytona's on my holdsworth multi speed as it was designed for 700c wheels, but the holdsworth single speed has deep drop algonha's fitted, as it was originally designed for 27" wheels, but is now running on 700's

PpPete

Legendary Member
RecordAceFromNew said:
The Mafac centre pulls are fine brakes and indeed depending on the model can attract a good price selling on ebay. However unless I have misunderstood the OP's situation I wouldn't expect a 1980 frame (which would likely have been designed for 27" wheels) can use 700c wheels WHILE keeping the original Mafac centre pull without an adaptor (which the OP finds hard to get)...

I've changed a 27" for 700c and kept centre-pulls on. They are very adjustable drop-wise. But as the OP says, somewhat lacking in power.

The original levers will work fine with those Tektro long drop dual pivots. No need to change them. But if you want I've got some old drilled Weinmanns with white hoods in pretty fair condition.

normgow

Guru
I still don't see what the problem is with Mafac brakes apart from them being a bit long in the tooth now and possibly liable to age hardening and brittleness.
I used them for years (a long while ago) and never had any problems.
The worse brakes I ever had were Campag Delta. Despite continual adjusting and trimming i could never get them to work properly, in the rain it was a matter of dragging a foot along the road to slow down. A friend asked if he could have them and I was only too glad to see the back of them. He later sold them at a jumble sale no doubt to someone with a death wish.

Top Bottom