Replacement Cassette & Spindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
The one thing keeping me from cycling through the snow and ice is the lack of a MTB or just a larger tyre (e.g. Big Apple or the like) on my hybrid. This is currently set up with road wheels (WTB DX23) and tyres, which limits the size of tyres I could use, I presume.

I have a spare set of perfectly good wheels with bigger rims which belonged to my older hybrid; they must be 20 years old but in excellent condition if a little heavy than what's available today. The only thing preventing me from swapping them over is the cassette (seven speed instead of eight) and the spindle which is a standard nut lock.

How difficult would it be to change the cassette to an eight speed 11-28T (to match what I already have) and fit a quick release spindle to the back wheel? All virgin territory for me, but I do have the necessary tools I think.

Any other considerations, given the age of the wheel?

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Can someone put this in the Know-How section please? Thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Changing the axel won't be an issue, but you'll have difficulty getting a new freehub that fits (that is if the olf wheel isn't a freewheel (hot freehub and cassette)- which is more likely). - The main issue will be the seals between older freehubs, and newer ones - worth taking to an LBS for a look.

If it's a freewheel, then things are easier. One thing to note, older 7 speeds have a 126mm axel (road). Road 8 speed and above are 130mm and MTB's are 135mm

7 and 8 speed sprocket spacing is about the same (I use 8 speed cassettes with one sprocket removed on my older MTB and road bike).

Can you not run 7 speed....? you'll still need to adjust the mech, as the sprockets will most likely be slightly out of line with the rear mech's jockeys

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Thanks; I just took a look at Sheldon's website and realised it was a bit more difficult than I had imagined. I'm going to pull the back wheel off tonight and take a look at what I've got.

Yes, I hadn't thought about running 7 speed. But I really wanted interchangeable wheels that can be swapped at short notice so really wanted to replicate the set up as much as possible.

Top Bottom