Replacement Groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
...... I found my first carbon Roubaix abandoned in a stream.
More stolen than a very stolen thing? Just sayin... ! :whistle:

bricksmasher

Granted, so would I, but how would you feel if your expensive bike was nicked and stripped down for parts and sold. I don't think it is "complaining" if it has happened to you.

This did happen to my Ultegra set few years ago, and genuinely, I hope the prick that stole it only got 15 for it too! Least then it went to a fellow cyclist to enjoy rather than lining the pockets of some low life

brand

Read that a bloke had Rolhoff nicked at a railway station. They cut the Rolhoff out of the bike by cutting the spokes with bolt cutters. Also read that Rolhoff recover a lot of there stolen gears because owners report them stolen and when someone has them serviced they report them to the police.
I was dead interested in a Rolhoff bike on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141192830006?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T
The seller called himself rohloff2013 and lived in London. The bike he was selling was US made with a German importer there was no UK importer. I asked questions which he replied to except the last one...how did you come by the bike... no answer. Never bid on it. He had previously sold some other Rolhoff stuff. I personally don't touch anything suspicious and as far as I am concerned " If you didn't buy them, someone else would off" is an excuse for Knowingly buying stolen goods.
Just checked he is still selling Rolhoff and insisting on cash only?

Last edited:

doog

Read that a bloke had Rolhoff nicked at a railway station. They cut the Rolhoff out of the bike by cutting the spokes with bolt cutters. Also read that Rolhoff recover a lot of there stolen gears because owners report them stolen and when someone has them serviced they report them to the police.
I was dead interested in a Rolhoff bike on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141192830006?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T
The seller called himself rohloff2013 and lived in London. The bike he was selling was US made with a German importer there was no UK importer. I asked questions which he replied to except the last one...how did you come by the bike... no answer. Never bid on it. He had previously sold some other Rolhoff stuff. I personally don't touch anything suspicious and as far as I am concerned " If you didn't buy them, someone else would off" is an excuse for Knowingly buying stolen goods.
Just checked he is still selling Rolhoff and insisting on cash only?

Is there really a market for stolen Rolhoff stuff? ..you would be damned unlucky if you had a Rohloff equipped bike nicked in the big scheme of things, its just too difficult to shift (excuse the pun) and your average crook wouldnt even look at it.

brand

I am not sure there is an actual market but there will be some who will steal anything and not even notice until on it. The one cut out must have been done to order though. So maybe there is although I doubt there is where I live on the Lincolnshire Wolds!!

migrantwing

Veteran
It is what it is. Someone gave me a complete bike including upgrades a few years ago. They were going for +/- £200 (without the upgrades) second hand on Fleabay at the time. The guy had brought a brand new bike and just wanted shot of the old bike. Stranger things happen...

Last edited:

brand

It is what it is. Someone gave me a complete bike including upgrades a few years ago. They were going for +/- £150 (without the upgrades) second hand on Fleabay at the time. The guy had brought a brand new bike and just wanted shot of the old bike. Stranger things happen...
. Yes I know what you mean I have given 2 bikes away as I only need 3. Each time I buy another I have given one away. Both worth more than £150 but if someone has done me a favour I like to pay them back with something they need.

migrantwing

Veteran
Also, you have to look at the seller of the components that the OP got this bargain from. The guy may be suffering from any number of psychological problems due to the aforementioned accident that he'd had. Maybe his wife didn't want him to ride a bike again after such a nasty accident. The stress and strain and worry on the people involved has to be taken into consideration, too. Who knows the reason? But, I stand by what others and myself have mentioned here, sometimes bargains DO come along and sometimes people DO give stuff away or for mere pennies.

brand

One of the stupidous sayings going is "you get what you pay for" some of whom use EBay. Surely an oxymoron? Recent purchases 18 volt Black and Decker drill 2 batteries excellent condition £7.50. Molineux mincer/sausage maker little used £1.04. De'longhi Coffeemaker £30 used 3 times (have my doubts it had been used at all)
Bargains are everywhere if you look for them and that is what the OP got. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Top Bottom