Replacement Groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Just a minute RL. Don't come on here knocking the forum. Your original story is vastly different to your second story so you can hardly blame people from being suspicious. It sounds as though you did indeed get a genuine bargain but it doesn't happen often and we all have to be vigilant to try and avoid supporting the criminal world who take far too many bikes knowing there is always someone that will buy 'the goods' and willingly overlook any doubtful provenance.
Thats your third negative comment to my posts, do you have anything nice to say?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thats your third negative comment to my posts, do you have anything nice to say?
...... It sounds as though you did indeed get a genuine bargain but it doesn't happen often and we all have to be vigilant.......
I don't see what is unpleasant or negative about that? looks like you want to argue about something in which case I'm out :hello:

solidthegreat

We need to remember everyone has their opinion and feelings on this subject, and we must respect that and listen to both sides of the story.
It's sounds like RL has found a bargain and the feelings towards thieves from everyone being put onto this thread.
A case of transference of feelings taking place from one person to another.
Lets not argue and give the thieving toe rags the air time or satisfaction on here of us arguing between ourselves. If they knew that was happening no doubt they would get a buzz out of that as well.
Best just to acknowledge an amazing bargain and talk about cycling, and be mindful of feelings on this emotive subject.
Just to say again though, BLOODY GOOD FIND MR RL, IM JEALOUS!!!

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Look guys, i'm new to this forum and definitely not out to argue, I get more than enough of that at home with my kids.
The forum is great and I am not criticising it.

I did not like the assumptions made that I had bought stolen goods, I have a right to defend against these comments.

I could have, should have, given the fuller story and avoided the backlash - I didn't think it would be of interest so I was wrong on that front.

I've had bikes stolen, been burgled etc etc, it's horrendous. Thieves and criminals are scum and with bikes and bike parts being so expensive it is rife right now. I even heard a story about a Pinarello being stolen at a charity race by someone who had paid the entrance fee to get into the venue, and cycled off with a £3000 bike.

I'll have to take the negative stuff with the positive stuff and deal with it!

Apologies for any offence.

Crankarm

Guru
We all have to be vigilant the whole time when we see bikes or bits of bikes of good spec and quality offered for sale at ridiculously cheap prices. Your good fortune still does seem too good to be true! People are just jealous :rolleyes:.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I feel a little bit of exposition in the OP would have helped, it really did seem far to good to be true.

Congrats on your upgrade mate.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The situation and RL's reading of the seller's character rings pretty true to me. These miracles do happen from time to time.

RL: check the limit screw on the derailleur.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

The situation and RL's reading of the seller's character rings pretty true to me. These miracles do happen from time to time.

RL: check the limit screw on the derailleur.

I've completed messed up the cable inside the front right brake mech, i've managed to pull it through the whole chamber, if I don't get it fixed - no lunch time ride, no ride home :sad:

It's currently sitting in my office waiting for my attenti

Managed to pull it through - but rear mech is not dropping down to smaller cogs, despite adjustments in all directions

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
We all have to be vigilant the whole time when we see bikes or bits of bikes of good spec and quality offered for sale at ridiculously cheap prices. Your good fortune still does seem too good to be true! People are just jealous :rolleyes:.

Yes, I agree. We need to be vigilant to make it harder for thieves to dispose of their stolen goods. If the guy selling the stuff was ignorant of what he was selling then one could understand the prices, on the other hand, somebody with basic knowledge of bike parts and cost would raise suspicious, selling at those prices, I think. I know that I would not bother going to a car boot sale to give bike components away. If they are not good then they'd go in the bin but if they are good then I would try to get a decent price at least.

"People are just jealous" possibly but I think this thread has raised an important topic that we should all take seriously.

KneesUp

Guru
Just a minute RL. Don't come on here knocking the forum. Your original story is vastly different to your second story so you can hardly blame people from being suspicious. It sounds as though you did indeed get a genuine bargain but it doesn't happen often and we all have to be vigilant to try and avoid supporting the criminal world who take far too many bikes knowing there is always someone that will buy 'the goods' and willingly overlook any doubtful provenance.

It's not *vastly* different. It just has more detail for those that assumed that the parts were bought off a shifty type with a Transit pick-up mysteriously full of bikes, lawnmowers and hand tools. I rather assumed that the OP would have been wary of such a vendor and thus assumed there was some sort of back story. Or, in your words, that the OP was vigilant.

ayceejay

Guru
Any experienced yard/car boot sale attendee would have offered the guy two quid for the lot so you missed a real bargain there.:smile: But seriously. a cyclist who knows what this group set is worth would be open mouthed at such luck but the guy selling who just wants to get rid of the stuff along with his three cup tea set takes what he can get to avoid taking it all back home again. He could have got more if he had put it on ebay or advertized where cyclists might see it - but he didn't.
Incidentally, I don't think the concern that these were stolen items casts any doubt on your character OP but I still think it is a possibility.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

People selling stuff at car boots hate loading it back in the car. I forgot to mention that the purchase was made about 10-15 mins before the published end time of the boot sale, so it may have had a bearing. I actually had a really nice chat with the cyclist, and I tried to encourage him to get back into it. He said he may consider buying a new road bike in the future, but was not ready. I would hate to have a bad cycling experience and be so badly put off to give it up. I can't imagine that.

Top Bottom