Replacement Groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I recently sold two front derailleurs for 99 pence each on Ebay - I just wanted someone to get the benefit of having them rather than throw them away. Does this help people to understand?
Was that 99p "Buy it now"?

brand

Could have been nicked stuff. But people do sell stuff cheap at car boot AND people expect to get stuff cheap. Could have been laying about in his shed for ages just getting rid?

kloeshuman

Sounds to me like you got a deal, I had the same problem with one of my rear mechs and it sounds like cable needs to be adjusted some more, Shift it so it lets out as much cable as possible then tighten it back down, then check your limit screws again and go from there. I always start on the largest rear cog and smallest chainring, then go to the smallest cog, I'm sure you know that, just my two cents

brand

"I say good find. If you didn't buy them, someone else would off."
Now this is definitely an excuse for buying stolen goods.

brand

Selling quality items at car boot sale won't get you quality prices. By the way what would the same items fetch on EBay before postage and how Much would postage be?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Selling quality items at car boot sale won't get you quality prices. By the way what would the same items fetch on EBay before postage and how Much would postage be?

Hi, I took a quick look at comparative prices when I got them home
Rear Mech Ultegra 6600 - £20-£35, maybe even £40 +
Front Mech " £15 +
Triple Chainring £50-£80
Brake Levers £70
Brake Calipers £25-£40
Other stuff - £20

Total estimated value, from £200-265

Bonkers!

@Richard Lawrence as has been mentioned someone would have bought them, and also as has mentioned I would rather a thief get as little as possible (not implying the guy was at all), I was struggling with wheels a few weeks ago and @dan_bo sent me two hubs (with me to pay a £5 charity donation), I personally have put together many computer systems over the years for people from kit I have knocking about for no charge (not clapped out stuff either, more than adequate for what the people needed, my system is getting on a bit but to get a similar performance and storage I reckon I am looking at £700+, and that excludes the three screens), so people can be generous, its also nice to hear the story behind it, and I hope the guy involved manages sometime in the future to ride again.
Regarding the R.D. if not fixed, ensure the cable runs free, undo at the r.d. see where the cage is it should be in the highest gear position (small cog) if not adjust the high screw setting so it is , pull the cable through the r.d. and tighten, I can usually do this pulling by hand, tighten the nut for the cable, run through the gears if it wont reach low gear the low adjust will need adjusting.
If you can run the cables you can change the shifters, takes me up to 2 hrs hours to change a pair and cables and adjust.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
@Richard Lawrence as has been mentioned someone would have bought them, and also as has mentioned I would rather a thief get as little as possible (not implying the guy was at all), I was struggling with wheels a few weeks ago and @dan_bo sent me two hubs (with me to pay a £5 charity donation), I personally have put together many computer systems over the years for people from kit I have knocking about for no charge (not clapped out stuff either, more than adequate for what the people needed, my system is getting on a bit but to get a similar performance and storage I reckon I am looking at £700+, and that excludes the three screens), so people can be generous, its also nice to hear the story behind it, and I hope the guy involved manages sometime in the future to ride again.
Regarding the R.D. if not fixed, ensure the cable runs free, undo at the r.d. see why the cage is it should be in the highest gear position if not adjust the high screw setting so it is, pull the cable through the r.d. and tighten making sure the shifter is in the high position, I can usually do this by pulling by hand, tighten the nut for the cable, run through the gears if it wont reach low the low adjust will need adjusting, if you can run the cables you can change the shifters, takes me up to 2 hrs hours to change a pair and cables and adjust.

> I have managed to get the rear mech sorted (almost) - just not quite getting the lowest (big cog) on my 9 speed cassette - but better than not getting the three high gears as before. The cable tension was all wrong. I have learnt alot the last week or so about gears. Always learning

> I have managed to get the rear mech sorted (almost) - just not quite getting the lowest (big cog) on my 9 speed cassette - but better than not getting the three high gears as before. The cable tension was all wrong. I have learnt alot the last week or so about gears. Always learning
Stupid I know but make sure your barrel adjuster is somewhere in the middle before tightening the R.D. Is your hanger bent at all (could you get your low gear before)

Just one other thing, if you disconnect the R.D. cable which gear does it run in it should be your highest, as its the tension that pulls the cable to the lower gears, if it isn't in you highest gear adjust it so it is, then go from there, making sure your shifter is in the highest gear.

I have got 7sp and 8sp cogs working on 7 and 8sp shifters, my current set up has two 8sp cogs 24-28th and and 7 9sp cogs 13-21th these work fine, never tried a 7sp cog on a 9sp though.

Top Bottom