Replacement parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
My hybrid is now starting to show signs of wear and I would like to replace some bits.

The cassette needs changing and I would like to change the chain aswell. I have Ultegra components and I'd like to change like for like.

What I'm unsure about is if i can just change the cassette and chain? Will I also need to change any of the cogs on the triple chainring? They dont look too bad?

I've heard that you can't just change bits as they have all worn together?????

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Generally the cassette will wear much faster than the chain rings, depending on maintenance!

If your chainring teeth do not appear hooked, just change the cassette and chain. If there is any problem which then manifests itself, such as chain suck, then you will have to change the chain rings. Just don't persist in riding with the old chain rings if you have problems or you will cream cracker your shiny new chain.

battered

Guru
Chainrings usually last a couple of cassettes. Ally ones are a bit softer and don't wear as well as steel. I recently retired a set of steel chainrings after 15,000 miles. They wer still OK but were starting to look worn and as I had a good spare set I fitted them.

Top Bottom