Replacement rim choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
One of my Mavic Open Pro C rims is cracked and needs replacing...Open Pros are sold out everywhere in 36h silver
must be 36h and silver, and take a 25 or 28mm tyre, classic narrow profile look (as I probably wont change the front at this point)

Spa have these two, same price, the Exal is slightly lighter (still heavier than the Mavic though by around 50g :ohmy: :laugh:) than the Rigida. Thoughts...or another option under £40 max?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p2961/EXAL-XR3
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p66/RIGIDA-Chrina

Will Spin

Über Member
H plus son, I've got a wheelset with these, seem like good hardwearing rims and easy to get tyres on and off. Do you need tubeless? This might affect the choice of rim.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't like the aesthetic of the H-SON (I've looked at them several times when getting wheels built) and they look completely different to the Mavic so I'd need to get both wheels rebuilt, but thanks.

I've now found an Open Pro to order online so all good :okay:

si_c

Guru
I don't like the aesthetic of the H-SON (I've looked at them several times when getting wheels built) and they look completely different to the Mavic so I'd need to get both wheels rebuilt, but thanks.

I've now found an Open Pro to order online so all good :okay:
I genuinely couldn't deal with mismatched rims, even if the look is similar :laugh:

Lol, Has to be Blue Hills OCD stands for obsessive cycling disorder , thing is symptoms tend to get worse the longer you have it?
Maybe - the worst cases are I think those who obsess about every bit of a bike being "in period".
One therapy/salvation is I think to buy secondhand bikes behind the tech curve and then maintain them with various bits you can get to work - then just ride the thing.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have black spokes on the front wheel of a bike and silver spokes on the back following a wheel rebuild.

The bike has 20" wheels which makes the mismatch less conspicuous.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It was different model rims but the chaps at Spa told me the Exal rims were quite good and lighter than the Ryde ones I ordered. Stuck with the Ryde but tbh, the Exal ones probably would have been the better choice.
Never known Spa to sell rubbish.

Ocd. My bike has to be spot on with matching parts. Even the bolts have to match :blush:

Just so everyone can wince a bit more, the Trek has one black and one silver rim, but the tyres match
The Scott has nice matching rims, but has one black and one tan wall tyre...
The Revell, has, so far as it goes, got matching everything EXCEPT...one wheel has half the decals missing!

What about different pedals on either side?
I've certainly done that (both use the same cleats though). Because one side always wears out first, doesn't it?

Current "main" bike has different brake blocks - just on the rear. Left is a replaceable shoe-type, right is an all-in-one jobbie.

I renewed just half the bar-tape on my commuter recently - a really garish pattern! But no-one noticed for a month, so I replaced the other side too.

I often ride with unmatched valve caps

Top Bottom