Replacement wheels for triban rc520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhiz

@bikingdad90 Ah so the RC520 brakes are 6 bolt, but the Mavic wheel set takes centre lock?

Rhiz

Decathlon changed the wheels to 19c, I started seeing them in August last year.

So I could just buy the new wheel set and skip all the faff of adapters? I’ll bin the stock 28s I have as they aren’t compatible apparently, but I assume my 35s are?

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/continental-cyclo-x-king-performance-700-gravel-tyre/136378049/p

Edit: saying that they have pretty poor reviews still, probably better off with the faff and using the slightly better Mavic set.

Last edited:

22point8

The Triban wheels are still heavy, If you're going to spend about £120 on replacing the wheels with Triban you might as wheel go for something slightly more expensive and get Mavic or Fulcrum.

vickster

Legendary Member
So I could just buy the new wheel set and skip all the faff of adapters? I’ll bin the stock 28s I have as they aren’t compatible apparently, but I assume my 35s are?

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/continental-cyclo-x-king-performance-700-gravel-tyre/136378049/p

Edit: saying that they have pretty poor reviews still, probably better off with the faff and using the slightly better Mavic set.

Have you tried going tubeless with the existing wheels if the only issue is getting tyres on and off. The issue with the wheels is that they are tubeless ready and although in theory work with tubes, the reality seems to be not the case with many tyres. Might be a cheaper option than new wheels

ellis

Guru
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I’ve had a RC520 for a few years now but the wheels and tyres have made it now virtually unusable. It’s got to the point now that I have just given up trying to get a tyre back on the wheel, it’s now just gathering dust. I’ve come to the conclusion that it will just be easier to buy a new wheel set. Now I don’t want to spend much money on a wheel set as the bike is lightly used for a bit of commuting here and there and the odd bit of rides out with the kids.

Would this wheelset be ok, from what I understand all I would need is a QR conversion kit and a centre lock disc conversion kit, is that right?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/prime-stagiaire-disc-alloy-wheelset/rp-prod185009

Tribansman

Veteran
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I’ve had a RC520 for a few years now but the wheels and tyres have made it now virtually unusable. It’s got to the point now that I have just given up trying to get a tyre back on the wheel, it’s now just gathering dust. I’ve come to the conclusion that it will just be easier to buy a new wheel set. Now I don’t want to spend much money on a wheel set as the bike is lightly used for a bit of commuting here and there and the odd bit of rides out with the kids.

Would this wheelset be ok, from what I understand all I would need is a QR conversion kit and a centre lock disc conversion kit, is that right?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/prime-stagiaire-disc-alloy-wheelset/rp-prod185009

I'd get second hand if you're on a budget and with how much you say you use it.

And I'd say pretty much anything is better than those wretched stock wheels

freiston

Veteran
After reading this thread, and having used the technique as per the video (by 531colin of a neighbouring parish) linked below to resolve my own difficulties with non Triban wheels and Vittoria Randonneur tyres, I almost wish I had a Triban just for the challenge of removing and fitting a tyre ^_^

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I would'nt have another Decathlon bike after the fiasco I had with the RC520.

chando

@chando save yourself the hassle, head over to superstar components and get a set of arc ultra disc wheels for £135 with the right spec from the off using code 66wheelset.

Thank for this! Would the right spec be: front (QR adaptor), back (QR adaptor - shimano), V6 Freehub Body (Shimano 11 Speed).

Apologies if obvious, just want to get it right!

I believe so @chando. It’s quick release wheels isn’t it and six bolt? I don’t actually own a triban so only going off the pictures and descriptions. It’s also a nice weight saving 2.3kg to 1.6kg!

petrum

This thread has saved me from going insane. I thought something was wrong with my servicing skills, but these wheels are sent straight from hell. I suspect the wheel is just too big. Maybe its just 1 or 2 mm in diameter, but it makes them pretty much unusable. I found fitting 35mm Continental Contact Speed tyres the easiest but it still is pretty much a 15min job per wheel with a lot of prior practice. I can't imagine doing it in the middle of nowhere and with less than 2 solid tyre levers. I recently bought a pair of 32 mm Schwalbe Pro Ones and fitting them was next to impossible, pinch-flatted 2 tubes in the process and lost all hope with these wheels. Decided to bite the bullet and bought a pair of Mavic Aksiums which are excellent, and replacing a tube is now a 5 min job using 1 plastic tyre lever. I opted for the centerlock option, as it was cheaper to buy with the added cost of 2 centerlock Shimano SM-RT10 rotors (the rotors are pretty much the same price as the centerlock to 6 bolt adapters). The option to use them with QR and thru-axle frames is also good for potential future bike upgrades and resell value. If you can't afford a new set I would recommend scanning local cycling facebook groups or other online marketplaces to get any QR discbrake 700C road or gravel wheelset other than the Triban.

Btw. has anyone had any experience with the new 19mm internal width Triban wheels? Are they any better?

Here's my RC500 after the wheel upgrade:
rc500.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
This thread has saved me from going insane. I thought something was wrong with my servicing skills, but these wheels are sent straight from hell. I suspect the wheel is just too big. Maybe its just 1 or 2 mm in diameter, but it makes them pretty much unusable. I found fitting 35mm Continental Contact Speed tyres the easiest but it still is pretty much a 15min job per wheel with a lot of prior practice. I can't imagine doing it in the middle of nowhere and with less than 2 solid tyre levers. I recently bought a pair of 32 mm Schwalbe Pro Ones and fitting them was next to impossible, pinch-flatted 2 tubes in the process and lost all hope with these wheels. Decided to bite the bullet and bought a pair of Mavic Aksiums which are excellent, and replacing a tube is now a 5 min job using 1 plastic tyre lever. I opted for the centerlock option, as it was cheaper to buy with the added cost of 2 centerlock Shimano SM-RT10 rotors (the rotors are pretty much the same price as the centerlock to 6 bolt adapters). The option to use them with QR and thru-axle frames is also good for potential future bike upgrades and resell value. If you can't afford a new set I would recommend scanning local cycling facebook groups or other online marketplaces to get any QR discbrake 700C road or gravel wheelset other than the Triban.

Btw. has anyone had any experience with the new 19mm internal width Triban wheels? Are they any better?

Here's my RC500 after the wheel upgrade:
View attachment 692483

Are they tubeless ready? Maybe try tubeless before new wheels?

Top Bottom