Replacing 531c forks - Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have a 531c road bike that must be about 25 years old which I want to use over the winter and may be longer because at present finances will not stretch to a new road bike. All the components are in excellent condition (mixture of 105 /600) and I have acquired a set of well cared for wheels.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33691028@N02/3356729794/in/photostream/

The paint work on the frame is showing its age but a close inspection shows no points of concern, rust free, no dents just some scratches which I can live with. However the chrome work on the front forks has flaked away and there is clear evidence of corrosion. I have no idea if it is surface rust or whether it has penetrated deeper. Do I take a chance or is it best to rplaced? Because of the corresion I have doubts about the forks and would like to replace them. The bike has a Campag headset and the stem is a Medallion 1000 Kusuki.

Not having the slightest idea what I am talking about I would be obliged if some wise and kind sole could give me some advice on how best to proceed.
How can I work out what size of forks I need 1 inch or 1 1/8?

Do I go down the carbon route if so will I need a new head set and have to replace my stem and bars accordingly? Will this be an expensive exercise?
Should I just seek out another set of 531c forks and get my LBS to swop the over. Can the present headset be serviced and reused or should I purchase a new give the age of the bike?

<edit>Apologies I may have posted in the wrong area. If so please move. Tnx </edit>

Christopher

Über Member
Lovely bike! It is almost a shame to ride it over the winter...
Best thing would probably be for the LBS to strip and service the headset. It will be obvious then whether the headset is still any good and if the forks are too corroded to be used - I doubt it as I can't see any corrosion at all on those pics in the link, but chrome does easily flake off in this damp country! Steel forks have to rust horribly badly before they get dangerous IMO.

Fork size: it'll be 1". It is getting very hard to find carbon forks in that size, but you can still get ones that weigh ~520g for £60-100 and one that weighs 350g for about £200! Either way it's about £50 for the headset and £20-50 for the stem.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
satans budgie said:
However the chrome work on the front forks has flaked away and there is clear evidence of corrosion. I have no idea if it is surface rust or whether it has penetrated deeper. Do I take a chance or is it best to rplaced? Because of the corresion I have doubts about the forks and would like to replace them.
Let me put it to you this way... :biggrin:

dead_forks_large.jpg

I came across the owner of this bike walking along with his machine after his forks started to break off! Shortly before that, he'd descended a 15% hill! :cheers:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Steel is quite forgiving - it rarely fails suddenly enough to be catastrophic, and 531 forks are over-engineered (hit something and the frame will give rather than the forks). I suspect they're okay. Take the wheel out and gantly squeeze the fork ends together - they should be springy, no odd crunching sounds. Clean them up, rust remover on the flaky bits and perhaps a squirt of WD40 in the breather holes (if there are any).

If you decide to replace: you have an old-stem stem that tightens into the steerer. To retain that you'll need replacement steel forks with a threaded steerer tube. Otherwise you'll need a new headset and clamp-on stem.

raindog

er.....
What a lovely looking bike. Reminds me of the steel rebuild I've just completed. It would be a shame to have to replace those forks, although the previous owner of my bike fitted a pair of steel Colnago forks at some time and I've often wondered why. Maybe for the same reason?
Here's mine.
Fagginsmalljpg.jpg

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
Thanks to all for the advice. When I can I would like to be able to restore the frame to its former glory. I am very attached to it, it’s a lovely bike to ride; I have a replaced the instrument of torture in the photo with Bontranger Race light.

I will make a closer inspection of the forks tomorrow. I know they are no where near as bad as the image by ColinJ (hi by the way) and Raindog’s rebuild is crackin’ like the wheels RD.

The reason for bringing it out now is I would like to try a run with the local club and I know that I will not be able to keep up with the group on my Tricross so I thought if I turn up on ‘Mick’ I may be in with a fighting chance for a little while at least.

MartinC

Über Member
Ribble still have 1" carbon forks. A decent new headset is about £20.

I'd just check the 531 forks over very carefully and see if they were good to go. They're only half chromed so it's unlikely they'll fail without warning at the crown.

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
MartinC said:
Ribble still have 1" carbon forks. A decent new headset is about £20.

I'd just check the 531 forks over very carefully and see if they were good to go. They're only half chromed so it's unlikely they'll fail without warning at the crown.

Thank you

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd get the forks re-furbed, flaking chrome isn't an issue. Lovely bike. PS I'm a bit fond of the chrome myself.....

Ahem.............

DSCF2700.jpg

Top Bottom