Replacing a chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karan733

Ive bought a lower 39T inner chainring for my double to help me with a few climbs that I cant do yet, and it arrived today! :laugh: Im trying to figure out how to install it, and I think I could install it without removing the cranks - is this actually possible? I thought I could remove the big ring around the crank and pedals, and then the same with the inner 42T, then slip the 39T in via the same method, and then fit the 52T back on.

Is this all too "blue sky"? :laugh:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Aye, I've done that many a time.

e-rider

crappy member
yes you could do that, or just take the chainset off (it's not much effort if you have the tools).

As long of you bought a new chainring the the correct BCD you'll have no trouble.

e-rider

crappy member
changing a 42 for a 39 will be the equivilent of one extra tooth on the rear cassette cog - that isn't vastly significant. Are you changing the cassette too?
Is 39 the smallest that would fit your current chainset? ie. 130(ish) BCD

OP
OP
karan733

karan733

Cool thanks for the heads up, ill try that tonight :becool:

Unfortunately I havent got the tools to remove cranks etc (I havent got any tools actually!) so I wanted to do it without visiting the LBS who are closed by the time I finish work most days.

As far as the rear cluster goes, if I can avoid any changes there then all the better. Im v poor at the moment, but seem to be spending money left right and centre on things for the bike. I hope the smaller chainring is enough to help me get up a couple of inclines. They arent huge, but im hugely unfit, so the chainring itself will hopefully compensate until my fitness improves :tongue:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
karan733 said:
Cool thanks for the heads up, ill try that tonight :biggrin:

Unfortunately I havent got the tools to remove cranks etc (I havent got any tools actually!) so I wanted to do it without visiting the LBS who are closed by the time I finish work most days.

How are you going to get the chainrings off then .... ;)

OP
OP
karan733

karan733

youngoldbloke said:
How are you going to get the chainrings off then ....;)

Sorry, Ive got some standard ones, like allen keys, but nothing specific, like crank pulls etc. :biggrin:

OP
OP
karan733

karan733

yes, very helpful! I found on my commute home the other day that three of five chainring bolts had fallen out somewhere, and both cogs were wobbling all about the place. so ordered some new crbolts, and a new chainring, so will fit the whole lot tonight if possible!

Amazingly, I found chainring bolts as much as £25 odd - mad! I know lightness is all the rage, but there has to be a limit to where someone says "I cant charge that for 5 bits of moulded metal?!?!"

Top Bottom