replacing disc brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
just want to know how to change pads on my tektro lyra disc brakes. do i need any special tools, or is it just a case of using fairly standard bike tools.

i'm mechanic enough to change rim pads; are disc brakes much more tricky?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
you have to take the wheel out and you should be able to pop a new set in without taking the brakes off the mount , easier if you do though
http://www.btwin.com/notices/wp-content/uploads/pdf/velos/subsinevofreinen.pdf

Tojo

Über Member
just want to know how to change pads on my tektro lyra disc brakes. do i need any special tools, or is it just a case of using fairly standard bike tools.

i'm mechanic enough to change rim pads; are disc brakes much more tricky?

If you can change rim brake blocks and set them right you'll have no probs with changing pads, they are a piece of p*ss......:okay:

si_c

Guru
I think the Lyra is mechanical, so you'll probably have to loosen the cable from the disc caliper. Once you've done that, there should be a 3mm allen bolt which goes perpendicular to the disc rotor at the back, and which holds the pads in place, there may be a retaining pin which stops you from unscrewing it. If you remove this bolt, the disc pads should slide upwards and backwards, you can then just drop the replacement pads in place, re-attach the bolt and retaining pin, and then tighten the brake cable back up again. It's a little more involved than rim brakes, but probably takes about the same time as you do both sides at once rather than separately.

Top Bottom