Replacing front shifter with different one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I've broken my front shifter. It is a SRAM x4 (3-speed) trigger shifter. Would it be a problem if I replaced it with a SRAM x3 grip twist 3 speed front shifter (CRC for £4 at the moment compared to £12 for my version)? Other than looking stupid/out of place I can't see any problems myself?

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive mixed and matched all sorts on BSO's ive cobbled together..never had any problems. Dont see why you should either.

Does the new shifter come with cables ?...not sure about cable length with twist grips tho.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Cheers gbb, I was hoping that would be the answer! I'm not sure if it comes with a cable, but I have a spare at home anyways. I think a new cable will be needed as I believe you have to wrap some of the cable around the inside of twist grips so I suspect the existing cable will be too short. It's a bit grubby too, the front mech seems to attract dirt, the limit screws and clamp are practically caked at the moment and it's a sod trying to get the mud off.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Twist grips usually come with the cable. I've bought both SRAM and Shimano ones and they came with the cable inner already in place.
Is this on that MTB of yours? How did you bust it?

gbb

Legendary Member
Plax said:
Cheers gbb, I was hoping that would be the answer! I'm not sure if it comes with a cable, but I have a spare at home anyways. I think a new cable will be needed as I believe you have to wrap some of the cable around the inside of twist grips so I suspect the existing cable will be too short. It's a bit grubby too, the front mech seems to attract dirt, the limit screws and clamp are practically caked at the moment and it's a sod trying to get the mud off.

Thats exactly where i was coming from...can't visualise the routing and thought maybe..just maybe, the old cable may be too short.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Twist grips usually come with the cable. I've bought both SRAM and Shimano ones and they came with the cable inner already in place.
Is this on that MTB of yours? How did you bust it?

Yes on the MTB. I went to pack it up ready for the flight and the instructions say to put it on the largest cogs to protect chain rings etc, so when I went to do that the shifter wasn't working and the cable was very slack. Tried tightening it up and re-adjusting, etc but whenever I tried to make a gear change it went all slack again. I think something must have broken when it fell over on the stand a few days before as the trigger shifters felt very loose (that's the only thing I can think anyway as before that I cleaned the chain & lubed the cables and run through all the gears and they were fine). So in my infinite wisdom I opened the shifter up and all the bits fell out. I figured out how to put it back together again but it still didn't work.

I'm praying now that it will work with a new shifter otherwise I'll have to rig it so that the chain stays on the middle chain ring and hope that Central America is relatively flat! Knowing my luck it will be something else to do with the front mech.....

EDIT - Shimano and SRAM are interchangeable to a degree yes? I'm thinking perhaps I can cannibalise my hybrid if push comes to shove.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes - that should work.
SRAM rear mechs use a different cable pull, but I think the front mechs use the same. In extremis you could rob the front mech from the hybrid too!!!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well, I collected my new front gripshift twister today and have fitted it. It came with a gear cable already attached so I didn't have to faff with that.

It turns out that it's the front mech that's sh*gged. It's a SRAM 3.0 front mech and to be honest it's rubbish - it gets clogged with mud really easy and compared to the Shimano C101 front mech on my hybrid it looks and feels "cheap".

Anyway I have robbed the aforementioned Shimano front mech off the hybrid and put it on the MTB. Everything now appears to be functioning as it should.

When I get back off my hols I shall have to get another front mech for the hybrid. In the interim I've got no front mech on the hybrid and I've left the chain on the middle chain ring. I take it that's okay? Seems ok running through the rear gears on the stand. I can get up all the hills on the middle chain ring so figured I could get by like that until I replace the front mech.

Top Bottom