Replacing Jockey Wheels in rear Derailleur – do I need to use Locktite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
One of the jockey wheels in my ULTEGRA 6700-A-SS-G fell out on my last ride - didn't notice it falling out so the wheel is lost.
Full disclosure: I removed the wheel as a lazy way to fix the position of the chain which had somehow slipped the wrong side of the wheel; I over torqued the bolt when I refitted as I'd read/set the NM wrong and rounded off the bolt's 3mm socket.
I have a pair of new replacement wheels and bolts.
Do I need to use Locktite on the bolts? The bolts have what looks like orange locking compound applied to the thread ends - please see photo.

IMG_0101.jpg

Last edited:

richardfm

Veteran
No

Ajax Bay

Guru
The orange is threadlocker: no need for more.
Every time I reassemble the cage/pulley wheels, whether new or just putting back together after a thorough clean, I use threadlocker.
Only about 3 threads are engaged, security is important and these (axle) screws do not need to be unfastened often.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
The orange is threadlocker: no need for more.
Every time I reassemble the cage/pulley wheels, whether new or just putting back together after a thorough clean, I use threadlocker.
Only about 3 threads are engaged, security is important and these (axle) screws do not need to be unfastened often.
Initially you're saying not to use threadlocker and then you say to use threadlocker even if new?
If reassembling after disassembly (so not new) is Locktite Blue OK or should I use something else?

Chislenko

Veteran
Initially you're saying not to use threadlocker and then you say to use threadlocker even if new?
If reassembling after disassembly (so not new) is Locktite Blue OK or should I use something else?

You don't need to use anything, the red bit (some say orange) will do the job.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the screws have threadlocker on already you don't need more.
Most pairs of pulley wheels don't come with screws, so obv use threadlocker even if new pulley wheels.
Very few manage to achieve what you have: round out the hex in the screw head: the unseen peril of using a torque spanner as opposed to 'firm enough'.
Yes: medium (mine is blue) threadlocker for reassembly.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
You don't need to use anything, the red bit (some say orange) will do the job.
Any ideas why my jockey wheel fell off?

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
If the screws have threadlocker on already you don't need more.
Most pairs of pulley wheels don't come with screws, so obv use threadlocker even if new pulley wheels.
Very few manage to achieve what you have: round out the hex in the screw head: the unseen peril of using a torque spanner as opposed to 'firm enough'.
Yes: medium (mine is blue) threadlocker for reassembly.
Yes, they don't come together; I purchased new jockey wheels (pair) and new bolts separately as one had fallen off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was riding up the Cragg Vale climb (the longest continuous uphill in England) and suddenly the bolt*** holding one of my jockey wheels in place came loose. I found the bits of jockey wheel but after 10 minutes of searching I couldn't find the bolt. I was halfway up the climb so about 10 kms (6 miles) from home. Friends were ahead of me on the climb, but I had no phone signal. I freewheeled down the hill until I got a signal and then phoned my pals to tell them that I'd see them later at the planned cafe stop. Once I got to the valley bottom, freewheeling was over so I clipped my right foot into my left pedal and used the bike as a scooter to get home. I was surprised at how tiring it was!

Once home I swapped to my other road bike, then went back and did the climb again. As arranged, I met my pals at the cafe and then did the rest of the ride.

*** I suppose it is actually a screw because it doesn't use a nut.

Top Bottom