Replacing my singlespeed chainset! Will this one fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning all

I have a Bob Jackson single speed using a 170mm 44T Stronglight chainset with 16T freewheel. It is getting a little easier to pedal these days and my LBS told me to perhaps consider a adding a bigger ring - perhaps a 46 or 48. The cost of this is about 40 quid or so all in.

However, I have seen the following at what I think is a ridiculously cheap price. This is the spec but I have no idea if it will fit. I have to admit to still not being too technically minded cycling wise. I would appreciate any help.

Truvativ Omnium Track / Single Speed Chainset
Truvativ GXP bottom bracket included
48 tooth chainring for 1 1/8" chain 144mm BCD
170mm crank arms
Supplied with Truvativ GXP bottom bracket cups, english thread

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I would say yes.

peanut

yep changing the whole chainset and possibly the BB seems a whole lot of hassle and unecessary expense to me too.:tongue:
Don't know anything about fixies but couldn't you change the rear sprocket instead to get the same ratio ?
44x16 gives 74"
change chainring
48x16 gives 81"

44x16 gives 74"
change sprocket
44x 15 gives 79"

peanut

4F said:
I thought the stronglight cranks were a 1 piece unit so its not possible just to change the ring.

I assumed that his LBS knew the difference :tongue:;)

if thats the case then the best option is to change the 16t sprocket to a 15t

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
peanut said:
I assumed that his LBS knew the difference :tongue:;)

if thats the case then the best option is to change the 16t sprocket to a 15t

But it is a freewheel (BMX style) he has rather than a sprocket. 15 tooth freewheels are as rare as hens teeth and if you do find them are chuffing expensive so for any change on his current wheel set up the OP is going to have to change the front end.

peanut

4F said:
But it is a freewheel (BMX style) he has rather than a sprocket. 15 tooth freewheels are as rare as hens teeth and if you do find them are chuffing expensive so for any change on his current wheel set up the OP is going to have to change the front end.

first site I came across.:tongue:
http://www.extremesports.ltd.uk/bmx/product87-783.htm

Top Bottom