Replacing the Brompton reflector with a rechargeable tail light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I bought the bare hub back in 2008. Can't remember the exact price but it came direct from Germany as UK prices were, and remain, silly for German-made dynamo lighting kit. I think it was about £100 then.

It's about £200 now (either from SJSC in the UK, or from Germany after adding all the post-Brexit charges) which would push me towards the SP hub at less than half the price. In 2008, there was no other choice except a bottle dynamo, and they are horrible.

It didn't cost me anything to build the wheel because I pulled the existing front wheel apart and reused the spokes and rim. If you build it x2, it uses the same 148mm spokes as the then standard hub and rim.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
Well guys, you talked me into buying a dynamo set for my Brompton and I'm glad you did. Here's a review of the package I bought.
https://bicyclethoughts.blogspot.com/2021/07/brompton-dynamo-package.html

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The IQ-XS is a nice light but the electronic switch has a mind of its own, as does the one on the bigger IQ-X. You will find it is often switched on when you start riding, even if you switched if off when you stopped. B&M used to accept this as a fault and exchange/fix them but replacements seem to go the same way very quickly.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a rechargeable tail light to replace the Brompton reflector? I've looked online and I can only find two and they are both over $40 which seems a bit excessive. I see Nightrider sells a $10 plastic rack adapter for their tail lights - again seems like a lot of money for a bit of plastic. And I'm not going back 30 years and using a light that takes disposable batteries.

Thoughts please?
I know that you got a dynamo kit in the meantime but I just stumbled upon a rear light that may fit to your original request: https://www.bike24.de/p1246776.html

Tenkaykev

Guru
That's exactly what I was looking for. I can only see one place selling it in the USA. It's not on Amazon and even Peter White doesn't carry it. I might get one for my touring bike. Thanks
I purchased one last year and have it mounted on an adaptor that clips on to the saddle rails and the light bracket fits on that. I almost lost it as on bumpy surfaces the vibration can cause the light to come out of the bracket ( it’s a snap fit ) rectified by sliding a couple of small heavy duty elastic bands, one on each side.

yoho oy

Is the dynamo even worth it? It does add drag and weight. Batteries are quite easy to recharge and I get it- sometimes people can forget about it, but one can have emergency lights in case of that...

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
Is the dynamo even worth it? It does add drag and weight. Batteries are quite easy to recharge and I get it- sometimes people can forget about it, but one can have emergency lights in case of that...
For most people a dynamo light is of questionable value. It has the advantage that it comes on automatically if you enter a tunnel but otherwise the cost is hard to justify. Drag is not a big issue - for example you don't notice more drag when it comes on and someone once calculated that using dynamo lights on a 1200km randonee like PBP is like adding six more km. The real advantage is if you frequently ride more than a couple of hours in the dark - two hours being the approximate run time of a good battery light with similar brightness.

The other thing to bear in mind is the beam pattern of a dynamo light is far superior to the beam pattern of a battery light. Rene Herse explains it well here. There's no reason a battery light couldn't have as good a beam pattern as a dynamo light, but no-one is currently doing it well.

BTW. I have a Edelux II on my road bike and carry a Cygolite battery light as a backup. I can confirm everything Rene Herse says.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
I purchased one last year and have it mounted on an adaptor that clips on to the saddle rails and the light bracket fits on that. I almost lost it as on bumpy surfaces the vibration can cause the light to come out of the bracket ( it’s a snap fit ) rectified by sliding a couple of small heavy duty elastic bands, one on each side.
I've been reading about that problem and the rubber bands sound like a good solution.

yoho oy

Can anyone recommend a rechargeable tail light to replace the Brompton reflector? I've looked online and I can only find two and they are both over $40 which seems a bit excessive. I see Nightrider sells a $10 plastic rack adapter for their tail lights - again seems like a lot of money for a bit of plastic. And I'm not going back 30 years and using a light that takes disposable batteries.

Thoughts please?
Why google "brompton lights" when all you can do is google "bike lights". Beyond hub there is nothing proprietary about brompton lights. Almost any light that can be placed on seat post would do. Yes, care should be exercised during fold. Many lights that can be attached under seat can work. Plenty of frame mounted lights too. The question is different if you are going for longevity or price point.

Top Bottom