Replica Nation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Why is Rapha always linked to snobbery and stuff? I've never been able to understand
This is just out of curiosity does the same to apply to Assos?
Because that's the brand image that rapha have very carefully cultivated. It's deliberately positioned in the very aspirational end of the market - the "signature" screams "posh", and the use of specific colours is as deliberate as Bianchi's use of baby blue. The tails hanging down from the back of the jerseys have no other reason that to point out to following cyclists "this person is a person of taste and money and can afford our luxury kit. You can't."

hoopdriver

Guru
Because that's the brand image that rapha have very carefully cultivated. It's deliberately positioned in the very aspirational end of the market - the "signature" screams "posh", and the use of specific colours is as deliberate as Bianchi's use of baby blue. The tails hanging down from the back of the jerseys have no other reason that to point out to following cyclists "this person is a person of taste and money and can afford our luxury kit. You can't."
And it is a marketing strategy that has done them no harm at all. They have been very successful with it.

OP
OP
Marshmallow_Fluff

Bianchi never used baby blue. Their signature colour is the -almost clinical- "Celeste" :smile:

OP
OP
Marshmallow_Fluff
Why is Rapha always linked to snobbery and stuff? I've never been able to understand
This is just out of curiosity does the same to apply to Assos?

:biggrin:
I don't have a clue! It must be (or maybe not, as Assos is retailed by many online companies and therefore can be affordable in sales etc?? Just a thought.). But same as you.. I'm in darkness!!

what gets me with brands is summed up best in the pub exchange;

"mate, what were you thinking when you bought that jacket"
"what? It's [insert brand here]"
"How much?"
"[Insert inflated price tag here]"
"Nice"

I've never figured out if the 'nice' is sarcastic or not. But suddenly it's gone from essentially saying that jacket (or other item of clothing) is ugly etc to endorsing the blokes purchase purely on the fact it's a certain brand.

would the Triumph TR8 (image for reference) have sold better (they did sell a fair few of them) had it been designed and built by Lotus or one of the Italian sports car companies?
Triumph%20TR8%20front.jpg

Surely that's all most branding on clothing is, a label that pushes the price up or justifies an odd design without question.

There are obviously exceptions, I stick to known brands when buying wet-suits, kayak gear and mountaineering clothing, but generally brands that have been around a while and aren't overpriced :smile:

Hotblack Desiato

Allowed or not, the fact is that the people that cannot afford to buy Rapha, they are not wearing it anyway. They pretend they do.

And, no, I am not a snob. I wear whatever I can afford and I find it that suits my needs, or my vanity even. I'm just as comfortable wearing Lidl as well as Rapha. I just don't see the point of pretending I am (or I have) something that I am not (or have not).

Maybe User13710 was saying not that you were a snob but those who bought the fake stuff were snobs. Yes, that seems to be the answer.

Is probably right. And wrt fake stuff, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I expect the brands know that they have 'arrived' when their stuff begins to be faked. Who knows, the fake stuff is quite possibly made in the same Chinese factory!

musa

Über Member
Each to their own. I have quite a few rapha gear jackets bibs if thats snobbery wellllllllll

:blows raspberry:
I never knew fake stuff exist in cycling clothing

musa

Über Member
Not at all - the OP was wondering why anyone would buy the fakes. People who buy fakes are not the snobs, they are people who like the overpriced style but can't afford it. The snobs are those who believe no one but a select few should be able to wear the pricey stuff. Gad, I can't believe I just took the time to explain that again.

Hit the nail on the head there

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
TR8 would have sold better if it had been built by a company that had half a clue how to run a business, by a workforce that cared about quality, and if the export market had not been crippled by a £/$ exchange rate of £1/$2.40 making it far too expensive. Speke built TR7s and TR8s had a reputation for unreliability which crippled the cars reputation.

The Stag and Dolomite Sprint, unjustly imo, and TR7/TR8 were the cars that destroyed Triumph's image and brand values.

Hotblack Desiato

Not at all - the OP was wondering why anyone would buy the fakes. People who buy fakes are not the snobs, they are people who like the overpriced style but can't afford it. The snobs are those who believe no one but a select few should be able to wear the pricey stuff. Gad, I can't believe I just took the time to explain that again.

Complete tosh. People who buy fakes are just as much taken in by the falsity of the designer label culture as those who have to parade their excessive consumption by buying the ostentatious 'genuine' article. It is a symptom of shallow, superficiality.

No doubt my explanation is completely wasted on your level of comprehension but one has to try.

OP
OP
Marshmallow_Fluff
Once again. It's not about the brand, or the price, it's the attitude behind it. It's about the person and the decision to buy a fake.
I don't wear fakes because my pride and self-respect do not allow me to. If I can afford the Rapha (which very often I can't) I do buy it. If I don't, I am more than happy with anything that serves the purpose, my budget, my taste and often my vanity.
The difference between buying a replica and buying the original has nothing to do with snobbery. It's a lot deeper than that.
It has to do with the person's attitude towards others. My purchases are reflecting what I want to wear, their purchases are reflecting what they want other people to perceive them as. Big difference!
But, yes.. as @musa said, if my collection of Rapha is making me a snob, that's absolutely fine with me! But what does my collection of Lidl is making me?

RedRider

Pulling through
My purchases are reflecting what I want to wear, their purchases are reflecting what they want other people to perceive them as. Big difference!
Or perhaps 'their' choices reflect what they want to wear and yours are based on how you'd like others to perceive you? You don't wanna look the sort who wears snide gear, for example.

if my collection of Rapha is making me a snob, that's absolutely fine with me! But what does my collection of Lidl is making me?
I thought your original post and the last one had their noses pointing upwards if you don't mind me saying. Nothing to do with your wearing Rapha or not. Was because they suggested people wearing forged threads lacked your pride, self respect and good taste.

But what do I know? I tuck my jeans into my socks.:whistle:

Top Bottom