Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Interesting reply on BR to a question about video use/links by Roadsafe (my bolds):

Thank you for raising this, you may not be aware but the ROADSAFE system is in the development stages where we are ironing out many issues before we launch it for the whole of London.

This was not something we had thought of and is a very valid point. We have discussed the issue and from now on when we have been given evidence via a 'you tube' or other public domain link (If we think the informants details could not be found from it) we will indeed be including the link details if we send out a letter to the driver.

Our intention is predominately to raise driver awareness / behaviour, however if the video / evidence is compelling enough it will be forwarded to the relevant department with a view to prosecution.
This will entail the informant being contacted and being asked to provide a statement (Along with a certified copy of the video)

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
London Firm Sacks driver after complaing to Road safe website.

It would appear results are starting to come in!

gavintc

Guru
Over here in Naples, mobile phone use is common and almost a requirement. This does allow some degree of analysis of driving competence and without any doubt I can comment that driving standards definitely deteriorate when a driver is using a mobile. The most common error is wandering from the lane on a dual carriageway.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Vikeonabike said:
Sorry Ori...beat ya by 5 posts...;)

Damn you Vik;)

Here's the detail from the cyclist and roadsafe:

http://www.lfgss.com/post1277835-82.html

Jezston

Über Member
"our director cycles to work daily"

Hmm, I wonder if it would have got such a good result if that wasn't the case.

If the director had been some BMW driving, Daily Mail reading twatend he'd probably have told the driver to try harder next time.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I got an e-mail from Road Safe.. the contents as following

Dear Sir
I would like to thank you for the interest you have shown in the RoadsafeLondon (RSL) reporting system and for providing information via the website.
RSL is a new system aimed at getting information to help tackle dangerous and poor driving on London’s roads, it is currently in a pilot stage and under constant review to develop aspects to ensure that it is fit for purpose.
Aspects currently under review are areas such as the initial acknowledgement to the informant, together with several fields to obtain further details of the incident.
Having viewed your submissions you clearly appear to be an experienced cyclist. This can be an advantage for a vulnerable road user, however research also indicates that these people are often willing to take risks that a less experienced rider would not consider.
Whilst your submissions highlight some examples of both driver and riders poor behaviour, I feel that I should also point out that on occasions your style of riding presents unnecessary risk to yourself and others.
I value your contributions to RSL and would welcome an opportunity to meet and discuss how we could be develop the system to improve information given and help London’s roads safer for all users
Thank you again

My Response
Thanks for contacting me, i appreciate what your trying to achieve and the effort the road safe team are putting into this.

Could you please expand on what you mean by 'your style of riding presents unnecessary risk to yourself and others'
One of the reasons i got my camera was to not only educate my self on how i can be a better cyclist but to also point out to others how we are sometimes treated on the roads. Clearly your service provides an assistance with the later. But I'm hoping you can be a third eye and give me some advice on how i can cycle safer.

I'm grateful to be called an experienced cyclist, and whilst i sometimes feel like i didn't take control of the road, i don't feel like i take unnecessary risks.

I'm currently waiting for a response.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I passed 3 out of 7 drivers on the phone within 200 yards today. I was driving as well so no chance of me getting the reg of any of them.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I hate that sort of bland response, Gaz. I'd like to see answers on specific incidents that they thought were risky, and why. My bet is that it'll prove to be nothing more than driver-oriented road use ignorance, rather than your poor riding. Unfamiliarity with what is currently considered best cycling practice.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The Response i got
It is very difficult to be specific without showing the points as they happen on your videos. As a long term traffic officer riding police motorcycles on the roads of London over the last 24 years I have seen a lot of poor driving and riding.

One of the regular things I and my colleagues have noted is your riding plan. You do look ahead but when you see an incident developing you fail to take the 'I might get hurt' option of slowing down a bit or moving over a bit etc. As I said in my letter you have as much right to the roads as other road users but you do need to read more of what's around you.

I would be happy to go through some of your journeys end to end and make some observations for you, unfortunately I run the road crime intelligence unit and cannot grant you access to my office but if you were to load your video onto a lap top (Or a DVD to save you carrying a lap top) I can arrange a meeting room at Empress state building and go thought it with you.
I don't agree with him on my planning, i always look ahead and take my time when it comes to traffic and roads and i never rush through. I also give way where i can to avoid an incident.

I've yet to respond but am tempted to take him up on his offer.

Top Bottom