Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Of course if it's a walkie talkie it's perfectly fine.

astrocan

Veteran
gaz said:
The Response i got
I don't agree with him on my planning, i always look ahead and take my time when it comes to traffic and roads and i never rush through. I also give way where i can to avoid an incident.

I've yet to respond but am tempted to take him up on his offer.

Did you get the meeting Gaz?
How did it go?

My impression from his letter is that he certainly has a lot of experience with cars and motor cyles but does he ride a bike?
While taking the ' I might get hurt' approach is very safety concious it means that cycles have to give way to every muppet in a box and so enforce their attitude that they own the road.

I would be interested to hear his opinion of their driving standards.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
astrocan said:
Did you get the meeting Gaz?
How did it go?

My impression from his letter is that he certainly has a lot of experience with cars and motor cyles but does he ride a bike?
While taking the ' I might get hurt' approach is very safety concious it means that cycles have to give way to every muppet in a box and so enforce their attitude that they own the road.

I would be interested to hear his opinion of their driving standards.
I did, it was very good.

I met with several of the staff there, all traffic cops, all with great experience with HGV's, cars and motorbikes. And one was a cyclist who also has muvi.

The i might get hurt approach is often a good one, and i go by it most of the time. Sometimes i stand my ground, but only when i know i have an escape route if everything goes tits up.

Dunbar

Über Member
Looks good, wish they did something like that in the Midlands.

Hi Upsidedown,

They do have a process in the Midlands (or anywhere else for that matter), but it means a visit to the station.

If you go to this trouble, ask to see a Police Officer, or even the Duty Inspector. If you have the time, place of the offence, and the registered number of the car, and you are prepared to give evidence in Court, then you are unlikely to be fobbed off.

Should you feel you are being fobbed off, just ask for the Officer's name and number and then write an official letter, (recorded delivery) to the appropriate Chief Constable. There's no need to feel intimidated by this procedure. In any case as soon as you ask the Officer for his or her details they will guess why you want to know. It's up to you if you wish to put across your point, about the seriousness of this offence.

But somehow, I don't think it will come to that. At the moment the Police seem to be engaging in a little 'war' against these idiots who use phones whilst driving.

Regards

John

Dunbar

Über Member
They dont care about a knob using a mobile in a car plus they cant enforce the law or dont want to.

Hi Hack,

Presumably by 'they' you mean the Police.

Please don't take this the wrong way but:

I can only refer you to my above post.

Yes, it is a difficult law to enforce, and in any case there was plenty of legislation in place to deal with it, before it became an outright offence in itself.

You can't blame the Police for the problems in enforcing it though. Blame the muddled thinking of the lawmakers who cause these problems.

The Police can't issue a ticket on the evidence of a third party. They can take the driver to Court though, so I repeat, if you are prepared to stand up in Court and say your piece, you can strike a blow.

If not, then there isn't much point in complaining my friend.

regards
John

I would definitely be prepared to stand up in court...especially if there is an accident but I think we are on to a losing battle here.

Who are these lawmaker people?

Also with today's society I think we are onto another loser here because people can't really see what they are doing wrong or actually see how it affects their driving....

Sorry about slagging the police I know they do a great job...It's just bore out of frustration of seeing the same old p155 takers who are quite happy to risk peoples lives just so the can talk 5h1t on a mobile phone.

Cheers.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
I would definitely be prepared to stand up in court...especially if there is an accident but I think we are on to a losing battle here.

Who are these lawmaker people?

Also with today's society I think we are onto another loser here because people can't really see what they are doing wrong or actually see how it affects their driving....

Sorry about slagging the police I know they do a great job...It's just bore out of frustration of seeing the same old p155 takers who are quite happy to risk peoples lives just so the can talk 5h1t on a mobile phone.

Cheers.

Yes, I quite agree. I encountered some chav female driver earlier this week - mobile in one hand cig in the other - amazing she could actually keep her mind on the driving so I requested she get off the phone as I passed. I'm sure you can guess the response. Anyway, I encountered her again 15 or so minutes later at a junction where she's sitting at the lights still texting on the phone so had another go. Similar F***off response, obviously, so reported the idiot's number & details to Roadsafe but really, who knows if they actually do anything about it?

I think the frustrating thing is I remember well when the Police used to go on one of their regular drink-drive assaults where, if you were out driving after a particular time you could expect a copper to leap into the road with his hand up forcing you to stop so he could ask you a few questions while trying to detect any alcohol fumes present. Beats me why they can't carry out the same sort of campaign aimed at mobile users. All you have to do is stand at any junction and you'll see the mobile morons as they drive past. They are both plentiful and blatant.

Unfortunately we seem to have descended to a level where the Police appear to have almost given up on any attempt at prevention. Sure, if you are found to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol or have been using a mobile at the time of an accident you'll get the book thrown at you - and quite deservedly so. The trouble is that there appears to be very little visible attempt at preventing people from behaving in what is, to say the least, a socially unacceptable and potentially downright dangerous way in order to prevent such accidents happening in the first place. So, unsurprisingly, the sort of driver who thinks that the accident-waiting-to-happen-because-they're-on-the-phone will never happen to them will just carry on doing it - until it's too late. It's a combination of denial of responsibility for one's actions with a feeling that you're unlikely to get caught anyway.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Where's the video, TiNuts?
I'm afraid it wasn't really good enough to post. Although I could clearly see the woman's actions the video wasn't so hot. Just back on the bike after a few months and I'm afraid I'm desisting from posting anything that isn't absolutely either a) very damning or b) very positive! Don't worry though, as I now have a rearward facing cam also there will be something new posted as soon as I can work out how to do the split screen thing.

Top Bottom