Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
So, out of 530 Cycling 'Near Miss' reports we have the astounding figure of 21 cycle intelligence reports passed to the newly formed cycle team.

It's great to be taken seriously.........

angry.gif

the cycle team focuses not just on crime against cyclists , but also crimes commited by cyclists.

It saddens me to see cyclists that just don't know the "rules of the road" . they are the ones who let us all down.

I have the privelige of possesing Car licence, PCV licence and a LGV licence, there are idiots out there in all forms and they are thankfully the minority. but its the minority that you remember. the amount of us cyclists who still sit in a vehicles blind spot is terrifying, but stop next to them for a chat and they turn into a lycra lout. fine mate, only trying to save your life.

the snail

Guru
It saddens me to see cyclists that just don't know the "rules of the road" . they are the ones who let us all down.

I've been looking out for mobile offenders over the last few weeks, apart from a taxi-driver, the only other offender I've spotted was.... a cyclist (riding on the pavement of course)
icon_rolleyes.gif

croyde

Wish they would do the same for shitting dog owners. Walking the kids to school was the usual fecal minefield this morning. Disgusting!!:angry:

BSRU

A Human Being
I've been looking out for mobile offenders over the last few weeks, apart from a taxi-driver, the only other offender I've spotted was.... a cyclist (riding on the pavement of course)
icon_rolleyes.gif

It's not illegal to use a mobile while riding a bicycle, the law only relates to motorised vehicles.

Merlin

On at least one occasion I've seen a woman with a fag in one hand and mobile in the other turning right at traffic lights. Anyone know if South Wales police have a similar facility?

newb

They should do something like that in merseyside. I have a few mates that are coppers and I have had a discussion over this thread.
My mates all hate mobile phone drivers. They have told me that when they see someone on the road using a phone, they get a ticket no questions asked. They did however tell me that it is really hard to spot someone on the phone when you are driving a bright yellow van with massive blue lights on top.

I think someone hit the nail on the head. This site is a great idea for intelligence purposes. If there is a repeat location which for some unknown reason people use there phones more on (or commit other offences) then the Police become aware of this location and can plan accordingly.
(plain clothes operations etc).

Inteligence wise this site is superb Im going to suggest the local plod adopt it.

onyurbike

I will look into this one hope, they have something like that in Scotland

McrJ64

I've only just noticed this thread and it's really interesting. I'm going to contact the Greater Manchester police to see what their attitude is to such reports. We need something up here badly! I would be careful not to confront them too much though as it will just get their backs up.

Their answer:

One of the regular things I and my colleagues have noted is your riding plan. You do look ahead but when you see an incident developing you fail to take the 'I might get hurt' option of slowing down a bit or moving over a bit etc. As I said in my letter you have as much right to the roads as other road users but you do need to read more of what's around you.

indicates to me that they think cyclists should give way / move over whenever there is a vehicle around. If we do that, we teach motorists that they can do what they want and we will concede right of way. When they meet someone who doesn't give way, smack!

Carry on the great work.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just got a message from DukeOfBelgravia begging me to take down the video of a Pedder Properties employee on the phone, suggesting that the consequences of senior management seeing her video would be far worse than her driving on the phone. Whilst he's right, she didn't actually drive on the phone as we were waiting at a red light, I'm certain she would happily have carried on and driven off when the lights changed, had I not said anything.

I don't think I'll be responding or taking the video down. Consequences are there for a reason, plus I've been drinking bitter lemon.

Couple of days ago, while cycling into town, I overtook a bloke in charge of a vehicle of enormous length and several tons burden, him doing at least twice the speed limit while deep in conversation on his mobile phone.

Yes, I overtook him. The speed limit in question was 4mph and the vehicle was a canal narrowboat . . .

DamoDoublemint

SORTED!!!!!
I got the main description box to be extended, we can now add as much text as we like :biggrin:

Really? I've just filled out the form, and the description box didn't take very much text, a lot less than the last time I used it (I think I'm quite verbose in my descriptions). I ended up putting it in one of the other boxes (think it was driver's address!), as it was the only one that would accept more than a few words... I pointed this out in the description.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Really? I've just filled out the form, and the description box didn't take very much text, a lot less than the last time I used it (I think I'm quite verbose in my descriptions). I ended up putting it in one of the other boxes (think it was driver's address!), as it was the only one that would accept more than a few words... I pointed this out in the description.

It was fixed, then they reverted it :sad:
i have pointed it out several times to them. Lets hope they fix it sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom